Practically Shooting

My Lil Bro Shooting A Full Auto MAC

CamuMahubah

Took the Glock out to hunt bowling pins Saturday afternoon. Ran into a bud of mine who happens to be the local rifle club president of which I am a member. He also teaches a concealed carry class and is an expert pistol shot. So I got to talking to him while my little brother was shooting the Glock. After a bit I loaded him up a magazine and asked him to take the Glock for a spin so he could show me and my brother some technique.

He was a excellent shot and very fast moving from target to target which were bowling pins at about 25 feet. I had them spaced about 5 feet apart and he swept them down with my Glock 23 expertly. And he said it'd been awhile since he had shot a Glock. A true Shootist! We were impressed and then he said, "Well since you let me run yours I'll let you guys run mine." And then went to his truck and we went out to set up the bowling pins. When we got back he was standing there holding an UZI with a wood stock, a silencer, and a holographic sight!

Not an UZI he tells me but a MAC. And FULL AUTO! grin

Yah an awesome experience! I felt like a little kid at Christmas time...

Yah Wayne next time you're in the Panhandle of Nebraskastan look me up! I know some ranchers who need bovine protection. And I know a place where some low-down lousy bowling pins like to loiter. And loitering is illegal for bowling pins in my town! grin

Well Imma edit this...okay it ain't "illegal" for bowling pins to loiter. Just that me and Chip(my lil bro) we don't take kindly to that sorta stuff... wink

• 8 months later...

I have two SMGs too, and seldom shoot them. I have a Reising M50 and a S&W 76. I usually like shooting the 76 more, but don't shoot either one a whole lot.

When I was shopping for the second one, the 76, I could have got a beltfed for about the same money, but thought about how much time and trouble I would spend setting it up each time with my crippled-up back. I decided to get something self-contained and fairly compact.

I get a lot more use out of suppressors. The suppressed Ruger 77/22 is probably my most often used gun of any kind. I keep a set of Newbold swinging targets where the backyard meets the woods, just for that rifle. I can stand in the back door and get ten or twenty rounds of offhand practice in with little trouble or time spent.

• 4 weeks later...

Barry - I've got a little .22 suppressor as well.

I've had bad luck with it not wanting to cycle the action well in semi-auto's (M&P-15-22, 10/22, S&W 422 pistol).

Perhaps it's my ammo (bulk s/s Remington). That stuff is nasty dirty shooting.

You got any secrets you'd like to share? Do I need to lighten the bolt?

Hmmm, my suppressed .22 is on a bolt action so I don't know much firsthand about suppressed .22 autos, but usually the problem is the opposite. The suppressor creates more back pressure and operates the action with more force. I had to load my suppressed .380 way down because it was opening the slide too quick and was hardly any quieter than normal because of that blast.

That back pressure is what keeps it so filthy. .22 ammo is pretty dirty anyway, and all that crud blows back into the chamber and action with a suppressor. I have to clean the chamber of my suppressed .22 fairly often or it won't extract.

• 2 weeks later...

The dirt from the blowback is exactly why it doesn't work well long term. With a clean semi-auto, you can run a few rounds with no problem. But as they get dirty, they start to fail to extract or fail to feed. And the junk is everywhere ...

I've given up shooting semi with the suppressor. I've got a Savage bolt action .22 that I had threaded (prior to their nice new factory threaded unit with Accu-trigger!). Very accurate, and it stays clean because the crap stays down the bbl where it belongs and out of the action.