Practically Shooting

My First Polymer Semi Auto

CamuMahubah

Congrats Camu!

9mm? - I can't tell which model it is..

Wayne

I bought the "Hickok Special" aka the G23. It's the one I wanted. Sorry bout the pic. Woulda went all out but yall seen pics of a Glock before I know.

It just so happens that my hands fit the Glock 19/23's very well. I like the size of this gun and I might be getting my CCW next year and this gun will work for that purpose until I get something smaller in size.

Until then though...this baby is gonna be bustin' bowling pins at 100 yards!

I will say this...I almost bought the M&P. It was real close. If I hadn't wanted a Glock so bad. I had to "scratch that itch" as G-MAN said. Plus the G23 is a bit more concealable. And I think after I've been shooting for awhile I'll know more about what kinda gun I wanna buy next...

Ahh - G23 is a .40S&W. Better learn to reload (there are much worse things you could learn!).

Yah it's what I wanted. A .40 S&W I was gonna get the 9mm but all they had were the expensive models with lasers and/or night sights and of course the Gen 4. They had this left over Gen 3 G23 for $519 bucks so I bought it. I pretty much decided when I woke up this morning I was getting either the 10mm or the .40 and I couldn't wrap my hands around the 10mm frame.

So I bought the .40 and my buddy just reloaded 7000 rounds of .40 and told me to come shoot! That said Glock recommends against firing reloaded ammo because the chamber is not fully supported so I'll stick with factory ammo until I get an aftermarket barrel with the fully supported chamber.

Yes I know this wasn't the best decision for a first time Semi Auto buyer. It is what I wanted though. Had to buy this gun. It was talking to me through the glass display case. And I know what I'm getting into so yall don't worry I won't complain about the price of ammo. I bought 200 rounds of FMJ 180gr Federal and Remington. 100 rds of each. It was expensive but it's what I wanted. I did buy a box of Hornady 180gr HP's in case zambees attack!

That said I'm going shooting tomorrow and I'm wondering what if any cleaning or prep I should do? I got a bottle of ballistol and all the tools but I need to find a video of how to lube Glocks and/or read the manual again. It's a bit vague and I like videos but I wanna lube this baby right. Don't wanna over lube nah mean?

Just got back from shooting the Glock. Wowser! I really shoulda listened to you guys when yall told me the .40 was snappy. I've shot a .45 that felt better than this. The first shot was quite an eye opener! I thought I had a very firm grip as I was pushing and pulling and I had my arms locked and the gun bucked really nasty on that first shot! eek

I shot 50 rounds and about halfway through the box I started to get the hang of it. The recoil is so much that I'm surprised this is a cop round. The .40 S&W demands respect and some really good technique otherwise you ain't gonna hit the broadside of a barn!

When my brother gets out of school we are gonna go shoot it again. And I did lube after I shot it. 5 tiny drops is all the Glocks need I guess.

I'll have some range pics tonite...

Reload rounds that suit your taste for recoil. I load almost nothing at max charge, mostly because I don't care for the recoil.

Wayne

Same here with the exception of the .357sig. Unless I have a reason for the "hot" load (like blowing something up grin ) most of my reloads are on the "cycle the weapon" and be accurate loads.

Paper does not care if its hit at 800 FPS or 1100 FPS. My favorite .40 S&W load is 175gn LSWC behind Clays. Very accurate, pleasant to shoot and makes nice clear pretty holes in the paper. t-up

The shorter barrel of the 23 is going to have more recoil than the model 22. But you'll get used to it.

Take care, Bill

Hey BIU what's the recoil of the .357 Sig like in this platform? I can get a barrel for $105!

I like it. Got a barrel for the full size M&P and it works 100%. It does have a different feel than the .40 or 9mm. Softer but snapper than the .40 but more than the 9mm. Takes out milk jugs VERY well! Point of aim is the same out to about 100 feet then shoots higher (slightly) from there.

A lot more expensive to shoot unless you reload. And to reload its 1 more step over the 9mm/.40. I use the .40 sizer and then the .357sig sizer so I don't have to deal with the lube.

Take care, Bill

Yah G-MAN I was sitting in a hotel room watching that video Sunday night when the idea to get the Glock 23 really took hold. I think I will get that .357 Sig barrel mostly as a conversation piece and occasionally shooting it. If I like the way it shoots who knows I might use that round for home defense.

Hickok sure shoots his G23 smoother than I do. I've got video of myself shooting but my technique needs work badly! So I'm gonna work on it before I show yall. I'm good to go with a revolver but this semi auto shooting is different I don't care what anybody says!

My little brother who is sixteen went with me to the range yesterday and he's been shooting an XD 5" Tactical in .45ACP and he shot the Glock very well! I will post that video here as soon as the wife gets home as it is on her blackberry.

If you want a little better control for practice, try some 135gr Federal FMJ's. I found them at Wally World and they were $15 a box. Out of my 22, there was a noticable reduction of barrel flip and accuracy was very good at 7 and 15 yards with reduced muzzle blast. Good for practice only!