Practically Shooting

Ruger SR9

CamuMahubah

Did I tell you guys I can get one of these for $440 out the door! Nice gun. For some reason it feels really small in my hand compared to other 9mm's of the same capacity. The SR9 holds 17 rounds in the magazine if I'm not mistaken. However, it's kind of weird but the gun shop owner wouldn't let me dry fire it without a magazine in the gun. Anyways I loved the trigger dry firing it and I liked the grip.

So if I bought one of these I could go home with 300 rds of 115gr FMJ for the price of the Glock 19 with no ammo.

This makes my decision even more difficult.

Anybody got an SR9? Anything I should know? I'm really wanting an American made gun. Do I need to buy the M&P or should I just forget American made and pick up that Glock? I'm so torn in my decision process that I've had the money to buy whatever I want for a week now and haven't bought.

This SR9 feels good...but I don't like the fact that I cain't dry fire it without a magazine. And ummm... I really hate that thing that pops up when a round is the chamber. Ruger kinda messed up an almost perfect gun with those two fails!

You can't dry fire it without the mag in because the SR9 (like the Browning Hi-Power) has a magazine safety. It won't fire without the magazine in.

Did you watch Hickok45's video on the SR9c? He's a huge Glock fan but really likes the SR9 and even said it has a better trigger than the Glock.

I've got a couple of SR9c and LOVE them! Just bought (5 minutes ago ) a SR40 so I must like them. grin

Excellent weapon and for ME, I don't miss my Glocks at all. (and I had them for many years and most of the models...)

There are a LOT of excellent choices out there for striker fired weapons. Its no longer just one brand like it was when Glock came out in my book.

Take care, bill

Bill, you should get us some pics of the SR40 and do a write up for us. I am also shopping the Glock 23 and the M&P 40.

G-MAN, Yes I have seen the Hickok video. He really likes compacts. I don't plan on carrying concealed. So I don't really understand the benefits of the compact.

The SR9 is definitely high on the list now.

You can't dry fire it without the mag in because the SR9 (like the Browning Hi-Power) has a magazine safety. It won't fire without the magazine in.

Did you watch Hickok45's video on the SR9c? He's a huge Glock fan but really likes the SR9 and even said it has a better trigger than the Glock.

Yah G-MAN I know it won't fire with the magazine out of the gun but it will still click when you pull the trigger. That is the striker slamming into the mag release safety. Ruger says not to dry fire without a magazine in the gun or to remove the mag safety release. Some guns have failed after damaging the striker from dry firing without a magazine.

Sad that in Hickok's videos he dry fires without a magazine. I tried to tell him and I got jumped by the "youtube experts" for trying to tell him. I have a friend who has the gun and it clearly states on Page 18 of the manual to not dry fire without a magazine.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Yah G-MAN I know it won't fire with the magazine out of the gun but it will still click when you pull the trigger. That is the striker slamming into the mag release safety.

Hmmm...I didn't realize that. I don't really consider that a "safety." When you engage the thumb safety and pull the trigger does the striker slam into anything? No. A true magazine safety should work the same way: Magazine out means you can't pull the trigger.