Practically Shooting

Got a Browning 1895

G-MAN

I snagged this NIB Browning 1895 on Gunbroker last week. In 1984 Browning made 10,000 1895s in 30-06 and 30-40 Krag. Mine is one of the 6000 Grade I models they did in 30-06. These are exact reproductions of the famed Winchester 1895, which was the last lever action design John Browning did for Winchester and was the only one to feature a box magazine rather than the more traditional tubular. It was also the only lever action Browning designed exclusively for smokeless ammunition using Spitzer (pointed) bullets (hence the box magazine).

The 1895 was Teddy Roosevelt's favorite Winchester and in caliber 405 Winchester he called this gun his "Big Medicine" for lion. In 1908 the 1895 became the first commercially produced hunting rifle offered in 30-06.

The vast majority of 1895s (roughly 300,000) were made for the Russian army in the early 1900s. They were made in musket form and chambered in 7.62x54R.

I recently read a great article in Guns & Ammo about John Browning's history with Winchester. I learned many things I didn't know about Browning, his family, and the relationship between Winchester and the Browning company. Read the article here.

Wayne

He was a genius on the level of Mozart. Where Mozart could compose and hold entire compositions in his head before ever putting a note on paper, Browning could do the same thing with intricate firearm designs. Except Browning didn't create any blueprints. He'd build a prototype directly from the "plans" in his head.

Just wondering because you seem to be gobbling up some of your favorite type firearms. Figured you'd have an engraved safe queen to show us.

I spend a lot of time drooling over big game nitro express doubles on another site and a lot of them are engraved wonderfully.

Didn't mean to go off topic...

Nice rifle you got there!

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? I have an 1895 in .405 Winchester and it is a bruiser. I ended up having a gunsmith install a pachymr decelerator red rubber recoil pad on it. It mitigates the recoil a little, but the rifle does not slide around like it did with the metal butt plate.

I also had a lyman type 38 fully adjustable receiver sight installed on it at the same time.

• 2 months later...

How's that 1895 working out?

I have an 1895 Winchester SRC in .30 US (.30-40 Krag). It's bore is like a sewer pipe so it tumbles bullets except for the long 220 grainers (must have enough length to get a little bite in the rifling). I like it because it has character, but I'd like a Browning for a shooter. I have a Browning 71 that shoots really well.

Heck, 1895s are fun just to work the action and watch all that stuff move around!