Practically Shooting

Got a Ruger SP101 "Iron Mouse"...

Crashbox

...a few days ago, .357 Magnum, 3-1/16" barrel.

Took it out to the range last Saturday and shot some holes in paper, single- and double-action, with two different loads I use in my GP100. Not at all unpleasant to shoot, either with 7.2 grains of TiteGroup or 17.2 grains of 2400 pushing 125-grain JHP's out the pipe. HOWEVER...

Even when using *both* high-quality ear muffs and ear plugs, the hot '2400 loads left my ears ringing!!! And I only shot about 20 of them. Evidently that 15/16" of extra barrel on my GP100 makes a difference in the report. The muzzle flash was also spectacular!

In sum, a great semi-little(???) five-shot revolver which can handle full-power loads. But this gun is not light in weight. I plan on using this gun to rotate CCW duty with my SIG SP2022, .40.

I now realize I need even better ear protection-

Crashbox:

I've been looking pretty hard a this same gun. How are the grips? They look a little uncomfortable to me.

My gun came with (I think) the Hogue Monogrip which is quite comfortable. I handled the other style of grip in the store, though, and for me it wasn't too bad- I suspect the Monogrip is a noticeable improvement while shoosting, however.

• 1 month later...