Practically Shooting

Ruger P95

CamuMahubah

Well I went to the local shop today and of course they don't have them but can get them. The blued model for $359 plus tax. That's a lot better than what they want for a Glock. I was going to order a Glock 19 but at $659 I balked a bit. I could go to Cabela's and get one for $549 if I just have to have one and I just might but it on the Cabela's card.

For the $359 though the P95 is American made and Ruger seems to have excellent reputation for customer service. If any of you have experience please feel free to let me know if you would recommend this as a first semi-auto.

How do they shoot? Accuracy? Reliability?

Could I shoot 250 rounds through this gun in a single afternoon and then another 250 rounds the next day without cleaning it? I will clean even if I fire only round but I want a gun that can do this if asked to. I want close to or equal to Glock reliability.

I'm not trying to be el cheapo but the first part of November I'm driving 1200 miles to Tennessee to visit my mom and funding that trip is gonna take away some of my gun budget. My wife or my mom would buy me a Glock if I told them this dilemma but I don't want them spending any money and I think I can swing $359 plus tax on or about November 15.

So lemme know your thoughts on the P95! Please and thanks!

And one more question is their any advantage to the stainless slide for $50 bucks? I'm gonna feed this baby bulk Bitteroot Valley once reloaded 115 grain ball and I'm gonna use Rem oil until I get Ballistol.

So prolly November 15 I'll finally have my "wondernine"! Sooner if I decide to drive 120 miles to Cabela's and put it on the card though I'd much rather pay cash here in town. Though Cabela's does have a much better ammo selection. I could buy the Ruger and 250 rds for what I would pay for the Glock.

My Glock never malfunctioned a single time no matter what ammo I used in it. My P95 did. With light loads it would stove pipe. It liked "hot" 9mm ammo and seemed to function best with 9 mm NATO ammo. I also think the P95, because of its light frame and heavy slide, is extra sensitive to "limp wristing." That may have been the real issue and not the ammo.

You're talking about the G26 right?

Yes.

If you really want a Glock, no other pistol is going to satisfy that itch. You might as well just save up and get the Glock.

If you want to go Ruger, I'd look at the SR9. It's a little cheaper than a Glock and is a striker auto like the Glock. The P95 isn't.

I've had a P95 for about a year. Put dozens of boxes of assorted ammo through it and had one feed failure using Blazer aluminum case. The gun doesn't seem picky at all and I'm not religious about cleaning it. Not quite a Glock but it's reliable and fires every time.

The stainless slide is more resistant to corrosion. Blue is fine with me. A little holster wear adds character.

Can't think of a better 9mm for someone on a budget.

My Glock never malfunctioned a single time no matter what ammo I used in it. My P95 did. With light loads it would stove pipe. It liked "hot" 9mm ammo and seemed to function best with 9 mm NATO ammo. I also think the P95, because of its light frame and heavy slide, is extra sensitive to "limp wristing." That may have been the real issue and not the ammo.

I believe you are correct about the P95 being extra sensitive to limp wristing, G-Man. We encountered this with them in our HCP classes.

As far as there being any particular advantage to either design, some of us like to have total control over our firearm's firing system, which means a visible hammer and an external safety, be it a decocker or not. I'm that way and don't trust a firing system I don't have total control over. I also keep candles around the house. grin The one functional advantage of the double action design is that if a round misfires in a survival situation, you can pull the trigger again to try and get it to fire, whereas with the striker fired gun one must rack the slide - one pull is all you get. And if it's your last round, the striker fired gun would eject the round and it would need to be rechambered before another attempt to fire it could be made. But as far as this being a tangible advantage,it really isn't one except in the worst of worst case scenarios involving the unluckiest sono[censored]un on the planet.

As far as being a good buy, the Ruger double action guns were darned good pistols for folks on a budget. But since the Bersa Thunder 9 Pro came out, I won't be buying any more Ruger 9mm's. I think the big R has lost it title as the best buy in town to this Argie update of the Walther P88 design. IMHO.

Jer

The Bersa Thunder 9 Pro is a full size service pistol almost exactly the same size in every dimension as the Smith and Wesson M5906/4006 models. It is a DA/SA and has an alloy frame, steel slide, ambi decocking safety, ambi slide stop, switchable mag release, rail, loaded chamber indicator, and polygonal rifling. In 9mm it holds 17 rounds in the magazine and comes with two mags. It is also made in .40 and .45 calibers, and all three calibers are available in a very well done high capacity compact model. Look up the Walther P88 and you'll recognize the lineage in the Bersa model. Here are a few photos of mine. In the second photo, the stainless pistol is a Smith M5906 shown for a size comparison. I've never paid over $375 out the door for any of my Thunder 9's.

My Thunder 9's have all had a round count of 650 rounds or more without a failure of any kind, no matter how hard I tried to create one. I stagger loaded oddball loads, double tapped, tripple tapped and did high speed mag dumps in them, but they just won't hiccup.

Here's a photo of the breech face to show you just what a beefy design it is. Look at the size of the extractor, ejector, and loaded chamber indicator, as well as the beefiness of the slide in general.

JP

My pleasure. I almost got to go to Cabela's once back in 1995. I was enroute from California to Iowa on I-80 and was looking forward to stopping in Sydney to visit Cabelas. Well, my darn car broke down just outside town and I spent the day in Sydney's Chevy dealership instead of at Cabelas. So enjoy it enough for both of us, huh?

JP