Practically Shooting

Anyone use CorrosionX?

• 2 weeks later...

I got the CorrosionX for Guns a few days ago and have used it on my 870 Remington and my PW shotshell reloading press. I have to say I'm very impressed so far. They make this claim on their website:

"Because CorrosionX for Guns bonds to the metal it contacts, it doesn't 'sling off' semiautomatic and automatic actions, making it an excellent replacement for messy greases."

I applied some to the 870 magazine tube where the fore-end tube assembly slides. After pumping the action a couple times the CorrosionX was spread out pretty well and the magazine tube looked wet. I shot three rounds of trap, then looked to see if there was any CorrosionX left on the magazine tube. Sure enough, I could clearly see where it was just like when I put it on. It really does seem to stick to the metal. I also applied to the bolt carrier, which certainly moves easier now. I will report later how long the bolt carrier slides freely. I have been using Rem-Oil on my 870, but will not in the future.

I cleaned the sliding surfaces on my PW-LS1000 and lubed with CorrosionX, then reloaded about 1,000 rounds of trap loads. The carrier moved very freely before reloading the 1,000 rounds and moves almost exactly the same after the 1,000 rounds. This stuff really works nicely on the PW and really does stick and stay.

I applied some to one of my 1911's, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

For those BITOG'ers here, it sure smells like it contains esters...

edit: The person that formulated CorrosionX told me that it doesn't contain esters.

Wayne

• 5 months later...

I've now used CorrosionX on my 870, AR15, XD, XDm, M&P, Ruger Mark II, Ruger P90, single six, and 2 1911's with very good results.

I was having an issue with very slight surface rust in my safe, even though I have two rechargeable dehumidifiers. I gave every gun in my safe a very light coat on all metal surfaces. The rusting is done, game over. I had coated everything with a light application of Rem Oil, but it just wasn't effective. Score one for CorrosionX.

Lubrication is the next claimed advantage of CorrosionX. The claim is that "polar bonding" make it stuck to the surface. The end result is that it won't sling off like other lubes. Every rail, slide, carrier, etc that moves and needs to be lubed got a few drops. Without exception, every place that I lubed still has what I would call, "visible wetness". The CorrosionX didn't sling off and didn't evaporate. The most extreme example is my 870, it's been fired a couple thousand times since I applied CorrosionX and the bolt carrier rails are still visibly wet and it cycles smoothly. Score two.

The last advantage the man who formulated CorrosionX claimed was that the gun would clean much easier. His reasoning was the the CorrosionX bonds to the metal, hence the powder reside can't stick directly to the gun and will wipe off easily. It does. I cleaned four handguns today with an old t-shirt and Q-tips, no solvent was used. Each gun had been fired hundreds of times since the CorrosionX was applied. The powder residue wipes off with little effort. Score another.

Great product at a good price.

My $.02

Wayne

I'm using Rustban from Enjay Chemical out of Houston. It's supposedly designed for offshore drilling rigs and is made by ESSO. I've used it on a Mossberg 500 while at the coast and the gun has been under the salt water a few times. It has zero rust on it and never has had any. It does leave a slight film that you can see if you look for it. It is an almost colorless liquid about like water. I think I paid less than $10.00 for a quart of it years back. It goes a LOONNGG way. Get a rag damp with it and you can do about 20 rifles with it. As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing else better.