Practically Shooting

Beretta PX4 Storm pistol

dnewton3

Anyone have experience with the PX4 pistol from Beretta?

I would like your impressions of:

how it shoots (accuracy, etc)

how it handles (ease of use, location of controls and buttons, etc)

quality of build (fit, finish, part failures, etc)

ease of service (breakdown and cleaning)

I'm interested in the 9mm "C" trigger version, but I expect that experiences with the .40 and .45 will be similar other than caliber.

Part of the reason I'm interested in this is that I might pair it up with the CX4 Storm carbine rifle. This is a handgun/carbine package they make that uses the same magazines, design features, etc.

All info would be appreciated. I'll listen to any comments, but am especially interested in direct use/owership. Even if you've shot your buddie's Storm, that input would be helpful before I spend this kind of cash.

I have a friend who bought one in 9mm a year or so ago and I fired it quite a bit during the break-in process. I have held and dry fired another one in addition to that. My friend's gun was the most load sensitive pistol I've ever encountered. At 15 yards off the bench we could barely stay on the paper until we tried one particular load, at which time the gun started shooting like a target pistol. This characteristic continued for as long as he had the gun and is a major reason why I wouldn't buy a PX4, along with the reasons below.

My friend and I both had trouble mastering the gun in both the target mode and defensive modes and did not consider shootability as its strong suit. It did not feel ergonomically well-developed to either of us. He sold the gun after just a few months.

I don't gravitate to polymer pistols, but I will admit they can be good, useful guns and I've fired quite a few of them.. Given those experiences I would prefer an M&P any day over the PX4. Like most Beretta products, I consider it to be overpriced as well. Try to shoot one before you buy.

Sorry for the gloom and doom report. My friend and I give all of our pistols a fair try but this one turned us both off. He has since purchased an FNH, a Ruger, and an XD-M and is quite pleased with them all. I've also fired them and like them as well as he does. Hope this helps.

Jerry