Practically Shooting

NEF single shot rifles

wwillson

I am considering a NEF (New England Firearms) single shot rifle in .204 or .223. I would primarily use for plinking, general target practice, and possibly varmiting if I get a chance to go west someday. The price of the NEF rifles is very reasonable, but I don't know if there is a accuracy penalty for the low price. Does anyone own or have experience shooting a NEF rifle?

Wayne

The one I own is actually a NEF shotgun action with a 30-06 bbl attached. HORRIBLE trigger!! I've never scoped and shot it, would like to find someone specializing in trigger work on this particular action.

Others owned by friends and aquaintences seem outstandingly accurate, though some of them have less than ideal triggers (but not as bad as the shotgun one!)

For your stated purposes, I can't imagine going with anything but the 223 simply because of economics and availability of ammo/components. 22/250 would be a distant choice.

Bob

I have one in .223, as mentioned the trigger is nothing to write home about. I had my gunsmith work on it and it breaks crisp at 3.5lbs now, was 8lbs from the factory. It is surprisingly accurate for such an inexpensive gun. Overall I believe it is well worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

The one I own is actually a NEF shotgun action with a 30-06 bbl attached. HORRIBLE trigger!! I've never scoped and shot it, would like to find someone specializing in trigger work on this particular action.

Others owned by friends and aquaintences seem outstandingly accurate, though some of them have less than ideal triggers (but not as bad as the shotgun one!)

For your stated purposes, I can't imagine going with anything but the 223 simply because of economics and availability of ammo/components. 22/250 would be a distant choice.

Bob

FOUND MY MAN!!! Same Nephew who just did the 10/22, and all that superfine 1911 work was in for the holliday and said he needed something to curse and fume about this long cold winter and took it home with him! These things are a real biach to work trigger on, as everything is INSIDE the receiver, so one must either build a jig to hold everyting in place, or mount outside receiver on pins to measure/fit hammer, transfer bar,etc.

Also asked him to put some kind of "[censored]-pad" on and have it Mag-Na-Ported to tame recoil.

Couple a years and maybe I'll have another nought-six to load for!

Bob