Practically Shooting

BL-C(2) experiences

Right now I am loading BL-C(2) in my .204 Ruger with Berger 35gr bullets @ 3950 fps. I have not noticed any more fouling than with WW 748 or Tac. The accuracy was better with the BL-C(2) than the other powders. I don't have any experience with this powder in a .223, but it does meter very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used BL-C(2) in my .308 Winchester rifles over the years. It is comparable to Winchester 748 in accuracy and velocity with charge weights that are similar. Win 748 is a cleaner powder in my observation. Both are double base, spherical powders that, as you noted, can meter better than the stick powders. I'd give 748 a try in your .223 Remington. As a side note, unless loading magnum loads, I have experienced low velocity spread and excellent accuracy when using standard primers with Ball powders Even when some reloading manuals suggest mag primers for Ball powder loads.

I called Hodgdon for grins to see what their tech folks recommend for high volume varmint reloading. Chris, from Hodgdon, said hands down he would recommend H-335 for volume reloading. H-335 is economical and feeds very well. It won't be consistent with temperature swings, but I'm not worried about that since the temperature is pretty predictable at the times we'd go PD shooting.

Wayne

• 9 months later...

If you get the BLC-2 for free use it and have no worries as t's very good powder.. There was a time when BLC-2 was THE powder for the .223..

"IF" your purchasing powder for your specific needs, you would have a hard time doing better the H-335 and W-748.

I do like R-15 for heavier bullets but of your sticking to the 50-65 gr weight range these powders will work very well..

I am able to use a bit LESS H-335 to achieve the same velocities I get with the W-748 and that does translate into some savings of your loading a lot..