Practically Shooting

Glock 21

Jim_Allen

Anyone have experience with the Glock 21? Shot a Glock 9mm (not sure of the model) recently and rather liked the overall feel. Planned use is home defense. I am retiring a 105 year old pistol from guard duty and have tons of .45ACP ammo for it, hence my choice of the Model 21. They are priced well and have a lot of nice features. Thanks.

I did a lot of research on Glocks before I got my Glock 26. The only Glock models I consistently saw reports of having problems were the 45 ACP models. It is reported that is why Glock made their own "version" of the 45 ACP, the 45 GAP.

I have one. Bought it last year. Have maybe 500 rounds through it. Typical Glock reliabilty. Good accuracy. Large grip plus a Hogue slip on makes it very easy to shoot. Flip side is it's hard to conceal. No malfuctions of any kind yet.

All types of ammo shot well. Mine really liked the Federal Gold Medal 230gr ball. I have not tried any of the various brands of HP's and +p stuff yet. I still use my Glock 22 for primary HD purposes.

It's actually Octogonal, 1 in 15.75 twist. I still wouldn't use lead bullets in a Glock anyway without an aftermarket barrel. My standard load of 5.0grs of WW231 and a Remington 230gr MC bullet has always shot well in all my .45's. I have not tried it my Glock 21.

For a $100, a drop in barrel might be worth it to shoot lead bullets. I just don't have the time to set up another type of bullet for a .45.

When I had a Glock 21 it was a good gun but sold all of them when the S&W M&P came out.

Did not shoot lead bullets too much with the Glock but when I did it was not accurate at all. Leaded up a little too.

Of all my Glocks it was my 2nd favorite one after my Model 23.

I have not shot one of the new Glock 21SF. My Experience is with 1st through 3rd generations.

Bill

I have a Glock 21 and like it very much. It is a handful size-wise, so if you have small hands, it's not for you, and the 21SF would be a better choice.

Yes, it has a polygonal barrel; no lead should be used. You can get aftermarket barrels, as stated, to shoot lead. (polygonal simply meaning mutiple interior angles)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had a 21 for about 15 years. I have small hands and prefer a smaller grip so I don't shoot it much. Mine is reliable when not using light target loads. It's probably the most accurate .45 I've ever owned (I don't own any customized/accurized .45s), and I don't really want to part with it.