Practically Shooting

Ruger LCR .357 17.1oz - brutal recoil?

wwillson

I've never shot a lightweight .357, but can imagine that at 17.1 oz the Ruger LCR in .357 has to be a real handful to shoot. The muzzle blast from the 1.875" barrel has to be ear splitting as well. Anyone have experience shooting a gun this light?

Wayne

If you think 17.1 oz for a 357 is light, try the S&W 360PD. It's a scandium J-Frame 357, 1.875" barrel, titanium cylinder: 11.5 oz. Bet that sucker will rock your world with full-house 357 rounds. I'm actually toying with the idea of getting one. Or maybe M&P 360. It's got a stainless cylinder and is 13.3 oz.

The 38 Special LCR weights 13.5 oz and shooting 158 gr +P loads in it wasn't bad at all. I shot an entire box (50 rounds) in under 20 minutes with no ill-effects on my hand at all.

A friend of mine has an LCR with the hard plastic Crimson Trace grip and I did not enjoy shooting it at all.

I like the softer rubber standard grip on the LCR, and have been thinking real hard about getting a plain jane LCR.

So many guns, so little time.

I shot both grips on the LCR and for me the Crimson Trace grip would make me NOT want a LCR if I could only get it with their grip.

The stock grip is VERY well designed and I'm impressed. With my Mod 638 I ended up getting a Hogue which improved the gun quite a bit.

With a SP101 its really not too much fun shooting .357 mag loads. Take off 10-15oz and no I'm not going to be a fan...

Bill

Bill

My .38 Special LCR is very nice with the Hogue Tamer grip. Switched to the Crimson Trace grips and it's a lot less enjoyable, but still manageable.

I can't see an LCR in .357 mag as being very practical. Not for me at least. Even with the extra few ounces it must be a bear to shoot.

Some interesting observations from my time at the shooting range today: I took my dad's Dan Wesson 357 and shot it for the first time since before he died in 1984. I put a whole box of full-house 357s through it. Muzzle blast and recoil with the 4" barrel is about the same as shooting 38 +P loads in the LCR. 38 +P in the Dan Wesson was noticeably tamer, both in blast and recoil.

I'll post a range report on the DW later.

Well I shot my S@W 442 with reloads, 5.2 gn 231 with a 158 gn lead bullet that I have used for years in my Security 6 and S@W 642 . The recoil on the 442 was brutal [a really sharp slap that hurt the web of my hand] as compared to the other revolvers which were confortable in comparison. The primer also looked different but the same batch of reloads when shot through the Security 6 looked picture perfect. I have shot Speer Gold Dot 135 gn through the 442 and they were not bad at all recoil wise as a comparison.