Practically Shooting

Range report Springfield XDm 9mm

wwillson

All,

I went to the range this Saturday to try out my new XDm for the first time. I'm happy to report that the XDm mostly met my expectations.

I spent much time consternating between the S&W M&P and the Springfield XDm. In the end I went with the XDm because the trigger is simply much better than the M&P.

I shot 100 round through the gun and walked away with these impressions. This gun does not slip in your hand period. I could feel the pattern on the grip digging into my hand after the first few shots. It doesn't cause pain, the the sensation is there nonetheless. I am used to shooting a Kimber Custom II 45ACP with a smooth front strap. In a hot range with sweaty hands I have to adjust my grip on the Kimber almost every shot. Not the case with the XDm - great improvement from what I've become accustomed. The trigger does have some annoying take-up, but the take-up is smooth. The break is crisp and clean *almost* as good as the break on my Kimber, seriously it is... If there was a way to get rid of the take-up, then this trigger would be truly a one of a kind for a plastic gun. The XDm points very nicely and is back on target so much faster than a 1911 in 45ACP it's amazing.

Below is the very first ten shot I fired through the gun. 25' with a combat grip and firing each shot about five seconds apart.

I would say that I'm very please with the way the XDm performs so far. We'll see after the first 1000 rounds.

Wayne

Sounds good!

I found the same about the grip. Some guys I know who have that pistol went with some skateboard tape or a Hogue slip on grip.

Personally I'd get used to it. I'm not a fan of adding width to a double stack grip.

Target looks good. I'll make sure that I don't get in your way!

The Poly framed firearms are pretty nice!

Thanks for the report.

Bill

PS: What load were you shooting?

Good to go! What is your favorite load in the .45acp?

Take care, Bill

Bill,

230g LRN over 4.0g Hodgdon Clays. I'm not sure how long that's going to be my favorite load as I've started using Hodgdon Titegroup which I really like. Titegroup meters much better than clays.

Wayne

Interesting. Do you have a RCBS measure? That is the only one that I've got that has "issues" with Clays (and Unique among others)

I like the Hodgdon line of powders also. Mostly Clays, Universal HP38/W231 and H110/W296.

The 200Gn LSWC is what I use the most of in the .45acp. I like how they look on paper.

With the 9mm, I pretty well load only 115gn FMJ as I bought a large amount of those back in the late 90s and still going with them. I load a few JHP to duplicate my carry load and pop milk jugs but the cost of those have shot up (pun intended) in the last few years.

Take care, Bill

The plot thickens.. confused

Same measure here. I wonder if they have changed the powder then (all of my Clays (either straight or universal)) have no problems with them metering correctly. I bought quite a bit back in 90s and then some more back in 2003-04 and still working off that stash.

When loading I check every 10 rounds for the first 50 loads then every 50 after. Try to keep the hopper above 1/2 full.

The only problem I have at times is the static electricity since we don't have much humidity here. Its a pain to get all the powder out of the hopper when done.

Bill