Practically Shooting

Tough Choice: M60 or 10/22

Scotty

Chime in on this one:

Looking for a new reasonably priced rifle. My uses are general, i.e. plinking, target and some hunting. I'll probably add a scope to whichever I get. Narrowed it down to the Marlin 60, Marlin 795 (the 60 with a box magazine instead of the tube) and a Ruger 10/22.

I had a Model 60 growing up and regret getting rid of it. The 10/22 has a good reputation but I must be the only guy on earth that has never shot one.

Just a personal opinion, the older the better. While new are still rugged, reliable, and probably as accurate as older guns, I just can't get my head around plastic trigger groups, and painted receivers. Even the new "stainless" guns are just a painted on coating over moly steel bbls.

As long as exterior of a used 10/22 is acceptable the internals and bbl just about can't be fubared.

Bob

I've got a few samples of both and I love the Marlin for the tube feed (can't loose the mag) and being more accurate out of the box.

The Ruger is a little less picky with ammo and you can spend some serious $$ making it less reliable and a little more accurate.

Both are excellent weapons. Everyone should own both and more!

Bill

I did pick up the Ruger yesterday. Nice gun. I don't plan on any customizing other than adding a sling.

While the gun shop guy was packing up the Ruger I noticed a little Henry .22 lever action in the rack. Picked it up and couldn't resist buying it too. What a neat little rifle. I'm more exited about it than the Ruger. Everyone should own at least one lever gun.

So much for my tax refund.

Excellent!

Let us know how the Henry does. I've got 2 and they BOTH shoot far to the right. One is so bad that I put on a scope and could not get it zero'd.

Its going back to Henry and once I get it back, I'll send the other one in (I scoped it and it shoots great)

Let us know!

Bill

PS; Agree with the at least one. I've got a few in .22lr, a .357 and .44mag. Fun Fun Fun (and milk jugs go SPLAT.. About 75 of them yesterday)

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of each, and wouldn't really be able to pick a preference of one over the other. I like them both. The mdl 60 seems a bit more accurate out of the box; the 10/22 perhaps just a bit less finicky over ammo. Take your pick.

Unfortunately, they are both eclipsed now by M&P 15-22; that thing is addictive like crack. I can't put it down!

Unfortunately, they are both eclipsed now by M&P 15-22; that thing is addictive like crack. I can't put it down!

I have to agree. A .22lr AR-15 type of rifle is just too much fun!

Sad that the same Fed 22lr bulk that we bought less that $9 for 550 rounds is close to/over $20 now... In less than 2 years!

Still, while not as much of a value.. STILL a deal!

Bill

I agree; never sell a weapon unless you're starving, or trade for a "better" one!

I kept my mdl 60 and 10/22, but I just don't shoot them much now.

That M&P-15.22 is stupid crazy fun, acurate, and ultra simple to break down for cleaning. That is part of the reason I like it; the ease of take down. No tools! The ONLY thing I would have done over would be to get the non-threaded barrel; could have saved the money. I got the threaded one to install my suppressor on, but the action simply won't cycle with such weak ammo (sub-sonic). But that is also true of the 10/22; I had that barrel threaded and it won't cycle reliably with sub-sonic either.

SteveS - if you want to blame me for your purchase, go right ahead; I can take it! And you'll be thanking me afterwards!

There are several brands out there. Most of them are similar to an AR-15. Only the S&W M&P-15 .22 is EXACTLY the same as the traditional AR platform.

That's the reason I like the S&W; all controls and functions are placed and operate exactly as any .223 AR weapon. Some of the other brands either don't have the safety operate the same, or don't have the bolt release the same, or some other contradiction. Not that these issues make them bad; far from it. Even the Colt brand (imported as I recall) is not a "true" AR style in function. Many of the other quality names cycle well and are made well. I just wanted my to be an exact functional duplicate of an AR for the training consistency; that is where the M&P from S&W excels above the others.

I have a friend that shoots one of the new Kel Tec SU-22's; it's a very nice weapon; I've shot it several times and I'm impressed. Yet even he agrees though he should have spent the extra money and got the M&P.

Since your daughter shoots, you might consider getting the new M&P; she likely will absolutely love it. Both my son and daughter really enjoy it.