Practically Shooting

Electronic Muffs or Plugs?

wwillson

I currently use fairly bulky Browning muffs, that work very well. Previously I was using simply foam ear plugs, but my ears would ring every time to left the trap club. I have problems with the muffs interfering with my gun mount, so am looking for slim muffs or enhanced plugs. I would prefer electronic muffs/plugs so that I can hear what others are saying. I would like to know what others use and if you are happy with their function.

Wayne

I just looked at my foam plugs for the db rating and found that they are 31db. My muffs are almost the same rating, but I swear the muffs do better at protecting my ears. Mostly because my ears will ring after shooting several rounds of trap with foam plugs, while if I wear the muffs my ears don't ring... The muzzle blast from the shooter standing at next station(s) also seems quieter with the muffs.

Wayne

The big thing is the muffs do cover part of the ear and the bones inside I've been told by my Ear doctor.

If it was up to him, foam plugs FOLLOWED by muffs. I've lost some of my hearing from flying planes, working in large Mainframe computer rooms and shooting. (and getting older)

But I do have to wear a wide brimmed hat (family has a history of serious skin cancer) so muffs are out. (I guess I could mess with the sun block and then wear a normal hat)

The closest I get to a fellow shooter is 100 yards unless they are with me. Then we just stand behind and the plugs work great.

Like I've said before, I don't do formal ranges (esp indoor)

Take care, Bill

The big thing is the muffs do cover part of the ear and the bones inside I've been told by my Ear doctor.

I'll bet the bones are transmitting some of the pressure waves to the inner ear...

Originally Posted By: Bill_in_Utah

I regularly shoot at an indoor range and I wouldn't dream being in there without plugs AND muffs! WAY too loud.

Wayne

After my first stint at a gun range a couple of hours ago, I think I will use both ear muffs and plugs as using muffs only left my ears ringing a bit and my hearing sounds as though I have a slight cold.

I am also seriously looking at getting some electronic ear muffs such as the Pro Ears Mag Gold; 33dB of reduction is pretty good.

I value my earsight a great deal.

I usually wear plugs except when I am hunting and then I don't wear anything. blush That is likely the reason I've lost 25% hearing in my left ear.

Have you tried the 'combat' earplugs? They have an adjustable hole in the center of the earplug. You can still hear conversations, but they do a pretty good job of reducing the pressure wave from muzzle blast. I've studied them and am pretty sure it has something to do with the length of the small hole in the center of the ear plug. I just don't know enough about the physics of sound to know for sure.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends what kind of shooting I am doing. For the shotgun sports, I use fitted ear plugs. Headphone type muffs just get in the way when I am really trying to keep my head on the gun.

For handguns, I use both the fitted plugs and the electronic ear muffs. The muzzle blast from some compensated handguns is fierce and I need all the help I can get.

For rimfire rifles, just the plugs. For centerfire rifles, I use both.

• 2 weeks later...

If it was up to him, foam plugs FOLLOWED by muffs. I've lost some of my hearing from flying planes, working in large Mainframe computer rooms and shooting. (and getting older)

But I do have to wear a wide brimmed hat (family has a history of serious skin cancer) so muffs are out. (I guess I could mess with the sun block and then wear a normal hat)

The closest I get to a fellow shooter is 100 yards unless they are with me. Then we just stand behind and the plugs work great.

Take care, Bill

I don't blame you with the not "doing formal ranges" I go to my mother's farm to shoot. I like the freedom to shoot however I feel and not have other people around. Plus, it doesn't cost me anything other than the gas to drive there and back. In the future, I am planning on buying a piece of property (50-100acres) to build a house and construct a range on as well. Nothing like having your own private range!

• 1 year later...

GREAT THREAD

I have some 20+ year old muffs that are shot (maybe bad word choice). Basically the softparts plastic covering is all cracked and nasty.

What brand do you guys recommend?

I've got an inexpensive Remington set of muffs I got at Academy. Rated at 31 db, they do a good job--better than plugs alone.

• 3 months later...

All I use indoors now are good plugs AND my electronic muffs. Really nice!! I can hear small noises, but hardly any BOOM noise.

Outdoors last Friday, just the electronic muffs. Perfect.

Indoors is just so dang loud, but my set-up works fine. I say if you don't like indoor ranges, then find one you do like. My place is really great. Good gun knowledge and so far in 5 months, no real idiots.

I love electronic earmuffs. I tried a cheap set and liked them but they didn't last long. I replaced them with a better set and got a few years out of them but they eventually died too. I bought a really cheap set just to get me by because I couldn't stand being without any, even for a short time.

I rarely shoot indoors so muffs alone are fine with me.

They are almost mandatory at a class in my opinion. You need to hear every word from the instructor(s) but a lot of their speaking is when you are holding a gun in a ready position or shooting, so you can't be upping muffs on and off. With the volume up you can hear all the instruction, and even though it's not always meant for you it's usually valuable info anyway.

They are nice to keep by the bed for bumps in the night. They enhance your hearing and protect your ears if you have to shoot. A carbine fired from an enclosed space is nasty loud.