Practically Shooting

Shorty!

Arkie_Lefty

Bought 350 pcs of once fired RP 45acp brass at gunshow last weekend. Been loading mostly with 230rnl, but also bought 200 copper plated rnl and loaded them. There were several 40's mixed in, normally stuck inside a 45 with media. One that I didn't notice till I started it into resize die was a 45GAP ! Had never seen or heard tell of such before, so did a Wiki search to discover it's a Glock proprietary. It's a shortened (by approx 20 thousandths)45ACP supposed to have same terminal balistics by loading to higher pressures. Talk about an answer to an unnecessary question!!

Bob

204 Ruger? What a great varmit round. Light bullets at over 4000fps and excellant accuracy. Better barrel life than the .22 caliber hotrod centerfires.

All my friends that are avid varmit shooters have at least one .204 Ruger, and many have two or more. Easy to load for speed and accuracy compared to some other varmit rounds. All the major manufactures make rifles in this caliber and many custom guns are being made also. The .204 Ruger is here to stay and with good reason. The .45 Glock Automatic Pistol round was a solution for a non existent problem.

The .45 Glock Automatic Pistol round was a solution for a non existent problem.

Not true. Glock wanted to make a smaller 45 pistol to meet customer demand and they could not do that around the 45 ACP, especially given the likelihood that +P ammo would be used. This was a "problem" that needed a solution.

From the Wiki article:

The full-sized frame Glock 37 pistol was introduced by Glock to use the .45 GAP and was followed by both the compact (Glock 38) and the subcompact (Glock 39) models. The width of both pistols is listed by the manufacturer as 1.18" compared with 1.27" for the subcompact Glock 30 (.45 ACP), indicating Glock was not only able to shorten the front to back dimensions, but also the width of the grip. The GAP models hold 10, 8, and 6 rounds respectively. The .45 GAP Glock pistols have slimmer frames than the Glock .45 ACP pistols, and have a frame size that is identical to Glock's 9mm and .40 S&W pistols.

If this is such a great solution, what other firearm company chambers for this round? Imitation is the greastest form of flattery. I would guess that the .40 S&W fills that gap very well without reinventing the wheel unless you just had to have some kind of .45.

If this is such a great solution, what other firearm company chambers for this round? Imitation is the greastest form of flattery. I would guess that the .40 S&W fills that gap very well without reinventing the wheel unless you just had to have some kind of .45.

As more law enforcement agencies adopt it as the standard service round (there are currently five states that have, including my state, South Carolina) I think you'll see more makers chamber it.

The same argument you are making against the 45 GAP was made against the 357 SIG. But once law enforcement agencies started adopting the round, it took off and now virtually every modern pistol can be had in 357 SIG.