Practically Shooting

Oh, No! I Bought Another Pistol,(AR) version

Arkie_Lefty

At last weeks gun show in Little Rock. Went planning to get a 38 Super and came home with a Rock Island Armory version. These are built in the Philippines. Has a really good out-of-box trigger, slide to frame fit is good, has a nice matte black finish, and decent looking wood grips. Sights are my only complaint, as they are genuine mil-spec tiny little things (though they do make me really slow down and pack em pretty tightly if attempting accuracy). Accuracy is supprisingly good if I do take the time to align them itty-bitty sights! Put 200+ rounds thru it Sunday eve with one failure to go in battery on last round of second mag (came with 1 Shooting Star 10rnd mag), a Colt brand 9 rounder. Otherwise was perfectly flawless. Plan to shoot more this weekend.

The weekend before I'd bought a Springfield Armory 45 that are now being built in Brazil. Because of fit, finish, trigger, accuracy, I wouldn't trade the Rock Island Armory for two of the Springfields!

Bob

The Armscor (Rock Island) and MetroArms (FireStorm and American Classic) 1911s are some of the best values out there. They are good, solid 1911s at any price. I love my FireStorm Govt. Deluxe. It's got a lot of goodies that don't come on the standard model--like decent sights.

Ran another 200 rounds through her this afternoon. Ran just like $#!+ through a goose! Getting used to them tiny sights, if I shoot one of my other 1911's tomorrow it may look like it's got magnified sights!

G-MAN,, you're pickin' on me fer stealing your thread title laugh

Nah. As for the tiny sights, I have to get used to those every time I shoot my Hi-Power--it's got the small GI sights.

• 3 weeks later...

TORTURE!!!

Sent my RIA 38Super slide to my Nephew to have him replace the horrible sights. I shipped it standard post (ok to send parts, just not the part with the serial number), no insurance, he had it in two days.

He called to tell me he'd put in in the mail Wednesday and fussed at me for not insuring, as he did on return trip. Checked yesterday, no slide, checked at 8;30 this morning no slide. Happened back by post office 1:30pm ish (closed), and sure enough instead of slide, there was yellow notification slip that signature is required! Now I gotta moan, whine, and grit my teeth 'till Monday morning to get it!! frown

Bob

Now the battery in my Nikon camera is dead! Have one ordered, but hasn't come in yet.

This is one fine sight install! "Kensite" brand, "melted" into slide, front is dovetailed into slide, then sides of sight and dovetail were contoured until it's hard to see the seams. Group size has improved as well as speed.

Can hardly wait to get camera up and running so I can post pictures and REALLY gloat!

Bob

I bought one of the Rock Island 1911A1's a couple of weeks ago.

Hope to get to the range this evening or Saturday to shoot it.

I haven't seen one in .38 Super at the shops I frequent, but if I do see one, I'll probably buy it to give it a try.

• 5 months later...