Practically Shooting

How soon to clean AR-15 after shooting?

wwillson

GMAN,

Are you recommending cleaning because of the risk of corrosion or the risk of malfunction?

Wayne

With modern ammo I don't think corrosion is a real issue--especially with the aluminum receiver. But the bolt on an AR can get HOT because it's being blasted with the gas from the bore every time it's fired. Carbon residue that is left on there will just continue to bake making it harder to clean the longer it's left.

How do I know this? When I was in college a shooting buddy of mine loaned me his AR-15 (a Colt). This was an "extended" loan that wound up being over two years. He never shot the thing, so he didn't really miss it and he only asked for it back to sell it, and I didn't have the money at the time to buy it. Anyway, the first thing I did when he gave it to me was break it down to clean it. I don't know how many rounds he'd fired through it since the last time he cleaned it, but it took me forever to get the baked on carbon off the bolt and carrier. I decided then that regular and frequent cleaning was mandatory. The gun was spotless inside and out when I finally returned it my friend.

I wouldn't worry about corrosion. I pulled my Colt HBAR out of the safe this weekend to check something. It hasn't been fired in 5+ years and I didn't clean it after the last time I shot it.

It's still fine. Grubby, but fine.

G-Man does have a point though. You want to clean the bolt+carrier assembly before the carbon gets so hard you need a scraper.

When you shoot it, run it "wet" and it'll function better plus you'll have less difficulty cleaning it when you do get around to it.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I shoot my AR's often and almost never clean them right away..

They get wiped down and if I think it needed the get a few drops of lube.

I would not suggest running ANY-thing "Dripping" with oil.. If the oil migrates to the chamber it can cause problems.. The case is supposed to expand and grip the inside of the chamber for that split second at ignition and oil can keep it from doing that. This can have a neg affect on the gas systems operation and allow greater forces to be applied to the bolt then normal.

Proper lube on most guns is actually pretty minimal, in some cases (GLOCK for example) recommended lube is no more then a few drops in the correct places.

I usually go several hundred rounds (or more) before I disassemble the Bolts in my guns.. As mentioned above many guns are "over-cleaned"..

Not to say cleaning is not required as I assure you I am meticulous in their care and maintenance but I do try to keep it practical..

• 3 weeks later...

One thing you must remember about the AR-15 as opposed to most other semi automatic rifles, is that it is all but impossible to over lubricate one. Again, the reason for this is it's direct impingement gas system. It tends to blow off much of the lubricant that is applied to the Bolt Carrier Group.

Running an AR-15 dry is asking for trouble. The Bolt Carrier Group is easily removed and disassembled, so there is zero reason to "run it dry". I like to use a combination of grease and oil. It tends to stay on the parts longer, providing better overall lubrication in the process. I grease the 4 rails the Bolt Carrier itself rides on, as well as the Cam Pin and Bolt.

I then use oil over that. By using a combination of the 2 it allows the grease to slightly thin out and get into all of the areas that require lubrication. The grease also helps the oil to stay put better. These three products will keep any AR-15 rifle running slick as snot for years, and all three cost under $20.00 at most any auto parts store. The fancy Hypo type applicators can be gotten at most any pharmacy for .50 cents or less. I've even had them given to me for the asking. And the nice thing is they are refillable. Bill T.

Quote:
is that it is all but impossible to over lubricate one. Again, the reason for this is it's direct impingement gas system. It tends to blow off much of the lubricant that is applied to the Bolt Carrier Group

Yup, it blows it off inside the receiver and then allows it to collect/gather dirt, powder, and whatever else your environment has to offer.. It will also blow out and cover your glasses..

While I agree 100% these guns need to be lubed, the actual amount of lube needed for proper function is very small..

While it may not be your intention is kinda "sounds" like your recommending giving your AR an OIL Bath and this quite simply is not needed..

• 4 months later...

Back when I was in basic we were cleaning our M4's even after just cleaning our M4's. Had a really bad experience when I was at a range one time and got a tiny piece of pete gravel in my reciever from loading a magazine that caused one heck of a jam that pretty much required it to be sent to the armorer. I got smoked something fierce and never wanted to buy an AR-15 after that experience. But aside from that they sure did stress about cleaning carbon out of the "star chamber" as they put it. But we never got ONE cleaning rod or bore brush... We always kept our weapons lubed with CLP and gave a generous amount to the bolt carrier everytime we shot it. Only when it is stored do they want it to be bone dry.

Yup, it blows it off inside the receiver and then allows it to collect/gather dirt, powder, and whatever else your environment has to offer.. It will also blow out and cover your glasses..

While I agree 100% these guns need to be lubed, the actual amount of lube needed for proper function is very small..

While it may not be your intention is kinda "sounds" like your recommending giving your AR an OIL Bath and this quite simply is not needed.

The fact is regardless of how much lubricant you apply, you will end up with a "small amount" in just a few magazine fulls. Most all of the trainers out there recommend to run an AR-15 "dripping". (Their words, not mine). There is a reason for that. They function better, and clean up a lot easier. Over the years I've seen too little lube cause far more issues with guns than too much. This is especially true with the AR-15. In fact most every one I've examined over the years with operating issues was either dry, or else severely under lubricated.

Naturally, it depends on the environment you are operating in. In good weather, (which is the case when 99% of us go out and shoot), there is no reason to under lubricate. In the military in very dusty, dirty conditions, it can cause issues. The AR-15 rifle by it's very design, likes lubricant, and lots of it.

We always kept our weapons lubed with CLP and gave a generous amount to the bolt carrier every time we shot it. Only when it is stored do they want it to be bone dry.

That is pretty much what I do. After I get home I remove the bolt carrier group and give it a good washing with clean Kerosene or WD-40. (It smells better). I do much the same with the upper receiver. It is amazing if you keep everything wet with lubricant, how all of the crud and carbon simply washes right off as opposed to having to scrape it off of everything if you run it dry, or sparingly lubricated.

After that I give everything a good blowing off with compressed air. It leaves everything clean and dry. Kerosene and WD-40 will not harm plastic or synthetic materials, and evaporate quickly under a compressed air blast. I then lightly oil everything and reassemble.

When I'm ready to hit the range I'll lubricate everything heavily the night before. I've yet to have a parts breakage issue, or a malfunction in any of my AR-15's. As they say, you stick with what works.

Yep, the training world is a sea of lube when it comes to ARs. Some of the bigger places hand out goodie bags after the class containing trinkets from manufacturers, but some give out lube bottles before the class with the advice and hope you will use it. It is in their best interest and the students' if they aren't held up by dry rifles malfing all the time. So they do all they can make sure you keep your carbine wet with lube.

I lubed after each day and again at lunchtime in the classes I've had, and had no trouble. I don't think I've cleaned during a class, but I've only done three day classes with 800 to maybe 1500 rounds max.