Practically Shooting

How much crimp? How much expand?

Tom

I loaded my first batch of .40 S&W and gave them a "light crimp" (according to Lee) which was about .0005-.001" with their "factory crimp" carbide die. How much crimp do you usually give a rimless cartridge? I don't want to crimp them too much. With that much crimp I had to beat the @#$% out of my puller to get my tests apart.

Also

How much do you usually expand the brass. I did it just slightly, maybe .001-.002" and it seemed to work fine. I don't want to give them too much. Without crimping it still seemed like I had to beat the heck out of the puller to get them apart.

Straight walled pistol cartridges shouldn't need much nore than that. If even that. Remember that the pistol rounds index on the case mouth. If you're having problems with bullet set back then your .0005" to .001" should be enough. Although I don't see how you came up with one half thousandths, considering the variations in brass thicknesses in the same lots. Did you mean .005" to .010"

When you bell the case mouth it should be enough so that the bullet will start into the case. If you chamfer the id of the neck, jacked bullets should need no bell. Lead and plated bullets do need a bell though.

• 10 months later...