Practically Shooting

"Pulled the Trigger" on a reloding setup

I just ordered a Hornady LNL Classic kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=749997

and a set of Lee carbide dies

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=622255

along with an assortment of bullets from Midway.

I bought powder, brass, and primers from Widener's. Nobody local had primers, and I had a hard time finding them online.

anything I'm missing?

good point! I'll need more bushings for other calibers anyway.

At least I remembered to order the the correct shell holder.

Hornady has a special right now for 500 bullets free with a press purchase. That's worth about $90.

• 6 months later...

It's great! I've loaded about 600 .40 S&W and about 80 .22-250. I really like that I can load whatever I want; 155 JHP, 165 FMJ, etc for the .40 without having find them at the store. The .22-250 is also great because all you ever find for factory loads is 55gr but now I can play with 40 gr, 50gr, 65gr...

Local shop had large rifle primers, I ordered the small pistol primers when I ordered powder.

I did find that guns shows are the spot for powder and primers. The one that comes around here is fairly worthless except for ammo related stuff.

• 1 month later...

The LNL Classic is a really nice single-stage press in my opinion, have one myself for de-priming and other tasks which are best suited for a single-stage. The only thing I don't really care much for on it is the hokey spent primer catch; I seem to get primers scattered all over the place! Since I use other tools to prime my cases, though, I just filled the slot in the ram with silicone RTV caulk and it now does a much better job of dropping the spent primers in the little catch tray.

But I do wish the assembly thicknesses were the same on both the classic and AP presses... maybe I can have someone turn me a bushing for it...

Congrats on your purchase!

• 1 month later...

Still happy with this setup. The quality and function is great. I haven't used other single stage presses but I don't know how any of the same "O" frame presses would work better. The only downside is loading pistol rounds is slow but I don't shoot that much volume and it would be the same with any single stage press. I can load about 100/hr with my single stage, with a progressive that would be 300+. Rifle is faster because you only have 2 steps instead of 3 or 4.

The Lock and Load die bushings work very well but you have to make sure they are completely seated, especially if you are only neck sizing because you put a lot of force on the press. I didn't get the die bushing completely seated once and cracked it. The die bushings make setup really fast with minimal adjustments.

Pablo,

Check out the Lee Classic Cast series. Their Turret is a simple well designed with a excellent price.

Videos here

Check out the top two videos. I don't use the auto prime (for the primers) I just select a single primer and put it in the primer cup. The NICE thing about this press is that you can take out the index rod and use it as a single stage for load development / tasks.

Built very well and mine has loaded tens of thousands with no problems.