Practically Shooting

Hornady Lock-N-Load AP observations

All,

I got the chance to reload with a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP last weekend. My baseline is the Lee Loadmaster, which I've loaded with for a couple years.

The Hornady seems to be a very well built and designed reloader. I first noticed the paint/powder coat finish is perfect on all surfaces of the press and powder measure. When I pulled the handle to cycle the press a few times I was shocked at how tight and smooth the press is compared to the Lee. The advance mechanism for the auto-index is so simple, accurate, and effective that others would do well to emulate the design! The primer feed system just works as there was never a single problem with priming the whole time we reloaded. The whole press is very rigid and I'll bet accuracy and consistency is easily achievable with this press.

I want one!

Wayne

Bob,

I've never used a Dillon, but would like to so I can see how they work. My knee-jerk reaction to a Dillon is that they are overly complex. They very well may be the perfect reloading press, but that's just my impression from looking at them in the Scheels that I frequent.

Wayne

I HAD a Dillon 550 and while it produced a lot of ammo I did not like finding loaded rounds without primers.

I've found dozens and it did not matter what caliber or brand of primer.

Dillon tried to help and their customer service is very good. But in the end, not worth it to me. Sold everything (had the tool heads for each caliber, Dillon dies, etc) and bought a few Lee Classic cast single and turret presses.

Have not looked back.

I've taken a real liking to my LNL AP. They are quite a bit less expensive than a Dillon, and in my opinion a great value for the money.

The one thing I found out is that running near-full cases can cause powder to shake out of them and scatter about, eventually working its way into the primer feed and causing jamming and frustration. There is a trick which was told me on another board (he goes by Mongoose33) where you can hold your finger along the edge of the shell plate while it's indexing, thereby smoothing out the sudden stop. It does in fact work but it takes some getting used to and developing the knack. Such a problem, though, is apparently typical of progressives which move the shells along as opposed to the die set.

The LNL AP is a fine press IMO. Too bad they reduced the free bullet offer to only 500 now frown

The LNL looks like a really nice press.

Crashbox - It seems like all the progressives have vibration issues in one way or another. I have a Lee Pro 1000 mounted on a not so rigid bench. I need to be careful and hold onto the rear of the press as I work the ram or the primer feed gives problems sometimes.

I'm sure it would be much better if it were mounted more solidly but as is it's perfectly usable and beats a single station in output a few times over.

I've ran my LNL AP for about two months now and have loaded probably close to 1800-2000 rounds through it. They sure do run smooth when the timing of the pawls/star wheel is set up correctly but getting there can take considerable time. I've also heard of others fighting with the primer feed but for me it was only a little tweaking and ensure the feed area does not get ANY powder around it.

I've "fixed" my case-rattling problem, so to speak. I bought another Hornady Powder Measure so I can do bench-style loading. My current plan when I need to load the sizzlers is to resize/prime/bell on the LNL AP, then charge the cases individually- perhaps using my LNL Classic as a powder measure holder- then seat and crimp on the LNL AP using stations #'s 1 and 2. It remains to be seen how well this will work...