Practically Shooting

Need help with bulged .223 cases - reloads

wwillson

All,

I took my first shot at reloading .223 for my AR this weekend. All was smooth and pretty self explanatory as I've reloaded lots of pistol ammunition. Well, at least right up to the point where I used the Lee factory crimp die and put a bulge in the case just below the shoulder on about the first 50 I reloaded. I had the factory crimp die about 1/2 turn in to far and when I backed it out the problem went away. So I figured out what was causing the problem and fixed it, but now I have these loaded cartridges with bulged shoulders. What is the best way to fix these cases so they will feed? Is it possible to remove the decapping pin from the full length resizing die and carefully size them just enough to remove the bulge, or is that a bad idea?

thanks,

Wayne

Get a kinetic bullet puller and pull them down. Pitch the bullets and throw the power back in the container. Resize the cases without decapping them.

You now have some primed cases that are ready to reload.

Out of curiosity, did you check the length of the brass after you resized it? I've never seen a factory crimp die do this. It makes me wonder if the cases aren't too long...

Did you Full Length size all the brass?

Are all your cases the same length (1.750)?

If not that might be some of the problem.

Are the shoulders set back the same?

The FCD works by the case holder pushing the split bushing up into the tapered sleeve and closing the bushing on the case mouth at the top of stroke. You only want about .030" of crimp length (measured from case mouth towards the base)

Are you using bullets with a cannulure?

Did you Full Length size all the brass?

Are all your cases the same length (1.750)?

If not that might be some of the problem.

Are the shoulders set back the same?

The FCD works by the case holder pushing the split bushing up into the tapered sleeve and closing the bushing on the case mouth at the top of stroke. You only want about .030" of crimp length (measured from case mouth towards the base)

Are you using bullets with a cannulure?

All full length sized, all trimmed to 1.750, no cannulure.

I wonder if the collet might be sticky since it's brand new? Possibly hanging and crushing the case instead of sliding smoothly with the case?

Wayne

• 1 year later...

If the buldge is small and is the only area that the case is deformed, remove the stem and primer punch from the sizing die, lube just the area that will be sized, push the round far enough into the die to size the effected area, and it should be ready to go. Obviously, do not attempt to rezise the complete loaded case- shoulder area only which means the case will probably only go into the die amybe a half inch at most at the shoulder area. If it requires more than that, I'd suggest getting a collect bullet puller like an RCBS or a Forrester and pull the bullets.The bullets will be reuaable as well as the powder if done correctly.

If the buldge is small and is the only area that the case is deformed, remove the stem and primer punch from the sizing die, lube just the area that will be sized, push the round far enough into the die to size the effected area, and it should be ready to go. Obviously, do not attempt to rezise the complete loaded case- shoulder area only which means the case will probably only go into the die amybe a half inch at most at the shoulder area.

Trapper,

Exactly what I ended up doing and it worked like a champ. Many prairie dogs were expended with these rounds!

Wayne