Practically Shooting

Hornady LNL Classic.

Does anyone else own one of these? I just picked one up last Saturday and it seems well-made with one exception: the spent primers are patterning all over my floor in addition to the plastic tray! Kind of hokey design of the spent primer disposal feature if you ask me, otherwise a good press so far.

Since I have no intention of ever using the priming function on this press (I have the LNL AP and a hand priming tool), I think what I'll do is seal off- or partly seal- the side where the priming lever sits, with silicone caulk. Then I'll see if I can build a catch tray out of RTV silicone or urethane molding compound which surrounds the ram and perhaps even extend it out toward the right-hand side. I'll post photos and details if I do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I did fill my LNL Classic primer lever slot with silicone caulk and now the spent primers go out the proper hole and land in the little catch tray where they should. It works.

No need IMO to build a new catch tray- at least for now!

If anyone wants a photo I'll be glad to snap one and post it.