Practically Shooting

2nd Range Report: S&W M&P .40

Tom

Finally got out to the range yesterday. New sear installed from http://www.apextactical.com/ and a little polishing of some critical parts. Trigger is now very smooth.

I shot 100 rounds of factory reloads by Ultramax Ammunition. Had four duds, two get stuck when loading into the chamber and one fail to eject. Upon further inspection the cases were bulged near the bottom; poor sizing QC. The one that failed to eject I had to field strip the pistol and push, almost pound, it out with a rod.

My targets are looking better. Shooting a semi-auto pistol accurately is a whole new skill set I need to develop.

This was my best at about 10 yards.

Unfortunately there is no Academy Sports around here. The best I can do locally is $20 a box for bulk reloads, $25 a box for Russian steel case, and $30 a box for new.

When I say locally I mean a 100 mile radius.

The junk I used was from Midway.

DIY reloading is looking better and better all the time!

Reloading is the way to go. The "factory reloads" in .40 S&W are commonly bad. It comes from the use of brass that was previously fired in unsupported chambers like Glocks, then not fully resized. That's the bulge you see at the base.

Start making your own. You'll be much happier.

I'm about this far (motions with thumb and finger) | | away from getting everything I need for reloading. The problem is I haven't found any place with primers in stock.

I sent an email to Ultramax stating my disappointment in their product. Their QC guy called me today and is going to have my remaining ammo shipped back and they are going to replace it. All 200 rounds were from the same lot #.

I went through the two boxes I have left and found about 5 rounds that were bulged and wouldn't fit into the chamber. I also picked out about 5 that were dented and 3 that had primers deeper than the others.

• 2 months later...

An armorer installed it, he also designed it. I met him at the range and he wanted to try it in my pistol so he installed it.

I wouldn't hesitate to install it myself. It's a simple replacement part and requires no fitting.

I've shot both the XD (and XDm) and M&Ps.

I've got a "few" M&Ps as I like them better. For ME they shoot better, parts are easier to get (I just bought a .357sig barrel for my .40 S&W and WOW! grin ) and most of all, with today's PC world all it takes is one SINGLE signature (NOT A LAW) to stop all parts and XD pistols from coming into the US.

I went from Glocks (which are excellent weapons) to the S&W M&P which for ME are a better weapon.

The M&P 9mm are 17+1 BTW..

Take care, Bill

I really never felt it was bad to start off with but I guess it gets better. If anything the trigger seems to get slightly lighter...

A striker will never be a 1911 or S&W revolver trigger. Any of my M&P's triggers are a ton better than any of my Glock's when I had them.

I've got an easy 5000 rounds in my .40 S&W full size and I LOVE that gun.. (okay, I love all my firearms) grin

Here is a NRA 25yd slow fire pistol target which I had around 75-80 feet and I shot 8 rounds rapid fire. Load was 3.8gn Clays with 175gn SWC lead and Fed primer.

I had just put this up and shot it 5 times (2 of those shots are to the lower left covered up with masking tape) Once I saw where I was shooting (a little cool with the !@#$^ wind and dumb Bill forgetting something to wear) I fired off the 8 shots.

BTW: I loaded these rounds 5-28-1993 according to my loading tag. Twice fired brass which means that they were fired before in one of my Glocks.

Good day out at the range. Picked up a trash can full of hulls, cans and other garbage, got thanked by the Sheriff driving by (talked to him for a hour) and anytime out at the range is good time! Fired other stuff but this thread is about M&Ps!

Take care, Bill