Practically Shooting

Blooper in the movie "The Sentinel."

G-MAN

Anyone ever seen the movie "The Sentinel"? Early in the movie a Secret Service agent is murdered on his front porch. While the local cops are investigating the crime scene, two Secret Service agents show up. The lead agent (Keifer Sutherland) notes that the safety on the dead agent's pistol is still on. The cop says they figured he was drawing his gun and didn't have time to flick off the safety. Keifer Sutherland then looks at the female agent (Eva Longoria) and asks her to explain why that is unlikely. She explains that the police academy teaches officers to draw their weapon and flick off the safety in two distinct moves "to avoid accidental shootings." She says the Secret Service academy teaches agents to draw and flick off the safety in one move, therefore if the dead agent's safety is still on, he did not try to draw his gun before being shot.

This all sounds terribly legit, but there is just one problem. The Secret Service standard sidearm is the SIG P229 in .357 SIG. This gun HAS NO SAFETY. It is a DA/SA semi-auto with a decocker. It is carried hot with the hammer down. The SIGs used by the Secret Service in the movie are all P228s, but they are functionally identical to the P229. No safety.

I've seen this movie several times and this major blooper never hit me until now because I just got a SIG P225 and started doing some research on SIG pistols.

I long ago gave up trying to make sense of some of the [censored] in movies, and just enjoy them for the entertainment they are.

Hollywood has long believed that they know better than the rest of us; it must be cozy in that little world of theirs. From guns, to politics, to cars, (and the list goes on), they make stuff up, rather than using facts to support their story line.

Ever count up the number of shots Hollywood can get out of a handgun before a reload? The bottomless magazinzes are astounding; wish I had one.

That's fine; because as I said, it's supposed to be entertainment. Unfortunatly, the general public easily falls prey to this type of "information".