Practically Shooting

C & S Hi Power Recoil Spring Tool

JayPee

For you fellows who might be contemplating installing an extra power recoil spring in your 9mm Hi Power, or for those of you who have a .40 caliber Hi Power, the removal or replacement of the stiff spring can be a real hand eater . Well, rejoice.....the C&S Hi Power Recoil Spring Tool takes it out and puts it back in with no pain or strain after a little practice. Here are some photos of it:

Here is the tool alongside half of my PJK 9HP. Remember that little portion of the recoil spring guide sticking up above the flat of the barrel cam lug....that's what the tool engages to install and remove the assembly....like this:

In order to use the tool, you turn it upside down over the recoil spring and guide assembly with the open end facing the muzzle. The vertical end of the tool captures the small surface of the guide sticking up above the barrel cam lug. You simply push towards the muzzle end to remove the guide from its slot in the lug, then ease it up and back towards you carefully while holding the slide down with the other hand. It replaces the assembly just as well, but takes more control and care than removing it, so be sure to read the instructions. (I used the term "up and back towards you" because of the orientation of the photograph only. You don't want to be directly behind it when you release the spring and guide.)

Here is the tool alone. Be sure to read the instructions that come with it as there are a couple of things you don't want to let it do, but I'll let them tell you about that.It is very easy to use with only a small amount of practice. Just remember you are handling a strong spring and you really should have eye protection on when you use it.

You know those little squirt bottles of eye wash the eye doctors send you home with? They make wonderful little emergency oilers. I have one in the case with each pistol. I have no idea why I'm including this, but it seemed like a good idea at the time...... grin

The tool is at this link for $17.50 and worth every penny of it. And yes, it works on the clones too: http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=49 (No, they don't sell the squirt bottles.)

JP