Practically Shooting

Reduced loads in .223 Remington better for brass?

wwillson

I am going to start reloading .223 Remington soon and would like to make my brass last as long as possible. I have been told that if you back off the charge a couple grains from the max, the case stretch will be much less than it would be with a max pressure load. With less stretch the cases will not need to be trimmed nearly as much and will last longer. Is this true? How many times can I expect to be able to reload the brass?

Thanks,

Wayne

.223 brass is so cheap and I have so much of it I'm not sure I've loaded any of mine more than a couple of times. For my AR's I just grab more out the "once or twice fired" bags I have around.

To your point, if the case gets dented from ejection the brass may start to split sooner than later. Light loads won't help that.

Wayne, you know you're supposed to start low and work up. You might never find that Nirvana load, like mine, worrying about brass life. (24 gr Tac under 62 gr fmj w/c Privy projectile w/ wolf srm primers in any brass 2.245 COAL) You didn't get that from me. Shot out of a S&W 15OR carbine and a Tikka T3 Hunter bolt .

Nah, don't worry about brass life, your fun time is too short.

Another great place to buy brass and components! These guys are in Searcy AR. I think they have an "in" with the Remington ammo plant in Loneoak AR. Most of what they sell is 1 fired Remington test ammo.

http://www.bluestarbrass.com/catalog/ofrbrass.htm

The REAL kicker here is, company is run by "PAT GARRETT"!!! Pat's also the sheriff of White County AR.

Bob