Practically Shooting

Scratched .223 Dillon resizing die?

I was talking to my cousin tonight about reloading .223 Rem. He said he has a problem with his Dillon resizing die scratching his brass from the shoulder to about half way down the case. There is something visible in the die that won't come out with a brass brush and wasn't there until recently.

I'm assuming this die is a carbide die, but I don't know for sure. It sounds like the die got scratch, which in turn is now scratching the brass. Does anyone know how to tell for certain that this die is or isn't carbide?

Wayne

In order to scratch a case, the metal of the die would have to rise. Grit (sand etc) might raise the edges of a scratch, but the die is hardened. I think what you have is a piece of stuff (?) that got embedded into the die. Try to pick it/knock it off with the edge of an old cleaning rod. Then polish it with some auto paint compound and a tight old brass or copper brush tightly wrapped with a piece of cloth in a hand drill.

If the die is carbide, the defect is probably a gall picked up on the carbide from a case that was not lubed properly, and added to by each case after that. Use the same procedure as above.

Carbide rifle die is really unlikely. Look at a carbide pistol die. It's straight wall, and die only has a small (different looking) carbide insert right at the mouth. A die for tapered wall rifle case would have to be carbide in neck, taper, and base areas, basically all carbide. These can run several hundred dollars, and are usually used only by volume commercial reloaders where removing lube would be unfeasible.

For any interested, Dillon case lube is really good and doesn't "poison" powders like conventional petro based lubes do.

Bob