Practically Shooting

Who has a SKS?

G-MAN

A friend of mine that I used to shoot with a long, long time ago had a SKS. It was a fun gun to plink with, and from what I understand the ammo for it is now plentiful and made by just about everyone, which wasn't the case 25 years ago. So, I'm thinking about getting one.

Who currently makes the best SKS? I've done a little research and it seems some are coming from China and others from Eastern European countries, and some from Russia.

I like the Russian SKS best, mine was made in 1952. From what I've seen and read the Yugo SKS is also very good. Ammo is around $7-9 for a box of 20.

AFAIK the only country still producing an SKS-like rifle is a private company in Russia.

That Saiga is based on the AK design. How much do they go for? The 7.62x39 is a great and cheap round to shoot.

I found a dealer in Georgia who's got one in 7.62x39 or .223 for $319.00, which is about what you'll pay for a "new" Chinese SKS and less than what I've seen Yugo SKS listed for.

I've got one of the older short Chinese SKS's that were made for the conical bayonet. I got it about 15 years ago mostly just to have one. I really haven't shot it that much.

The chamber in that gun is as sloppy as anything I've ever seen. The headspace is fine but the chamber diameter is *far* larger than a resized round.

It's no wonder they work when filled with mud and grit.