Practically Shooting

2023 NRA Annual Meetings in Indianapolis

BarryinIN

One again, your intrepid reporter from Practically Shooting will be in attendance, browsing around, asking questions, and touching lots of guns.  

For a change, I plan to attend the actual annual meeting.  This will be at least my fifth NRAAM and I’ve never come close to going.  If there is any mud (or worse) slung at Wayne, I intend to see it.  

The other Wayne. Not you, Wayne W. 

I am sitting in the Annual Members Meeting right now…

…staring down Wayne La P, but I digress. 

Notable absentees in the Exhibit Hall this year include:

Kahles Optics

Leica Optics

Swaworvski Optics

Steyr Arms

Pyramyd Air

Berger Bullets

RCBS

and a little company known as-

Smith and Wesson

All had been exhibitors at the last three NRAAMs I have attended.  I find that curious.  
Why aren’t they here?

Economics?  If people making knives in their garage can afford a spot, I think S&W can swing it. 
Nothing new to show?  I know that isn’t the case for some of these listed.  
Protest? Don’t like ol’ Wayne?  Could be.  

This is going to be a heavy post.  

2023 NRA Member’s Meeting, April 15, 2023, Indianapolis 

There were three resolutions presented to the membership for voting   I don’t remember the first one, but the other two were both proposals to dismiss Wayne LaPierre.

I’ll cut to the chase: They both failed.  
As many know, that was not due to love of ol’ Wayne by the general membership or gun owners in general, but rather because so many NRA members have quit in disgust there was nobody present to vote for his ouster.  Jeff Knox, Rob Pincus, and several others tried, backed by people like myself cheering them on, but we were greatly outnumbered.

His supporters claim he is the only person who can carry the fight.  I doubt that.  I think any number of people can do it without the distraction and effect on membership and revenue.
They deny there is any distraction, yet we spent two thirds of our own meeting talking about him. 
They claim the loss in membership and donations comes from Covid, which had the same effect on every business.  They can’t explain why Gun Owners of America and the Second Amendment Foundation are doing better than ever.  Every single person I’ve talked to about joining or returning to the NRA has asked the same question first: “Is Wayne still in charge?”  That’s all they need to know to decide.

But he stayed.

The current decline in membership and revenue has been approved.

I talked to Jeff Knox after the meeting.  The gist of it:  He thinks the NRA will be bankrupt within two months.  

There is a LOT going on behind the scenes.  I can’t even begin to remember all of it.  There are still people suing Ollie North (for exposing them).  

Monday, the board will re-elect Wayne LaPierre as Exec VP, Charles Cotton as president, and appoint the temp head of the ILA as permanent (the head of it resigned a couple of months ago, and long-time ILA head Chris Cox was ousted after being accused of joining a coup against Wayne).

The office of president of the NRA is limited to a single one year term.  This was only belayed by a special vote once, during the Charlton Heston era.  
It happened last year, and look for it to happen Monday so Charles Cotton can serve a third term and continue his sterling leadership.

What? You’ve never heard the name before?  Yeah, that’s what I thought.

He and Wayne protect each other.  He “must” stay.

Money is tight, and the NRA is hemorrhaging it.

The NRA is trying to surreptitiously sell the Headquarters building in Fairfax VA right now to generate funds. 

They deny this, but they have been washing the exterior, repairing the elevators, fixing the roof that has been leaking for over two years, etc. all the while they complain about lack of revenue.  

They are selling it to generate some cash to hang on a little while longer. 

The NY lawsuit judge will possibly, if not likely force Wayne out this year, but the heavy damage will be done.  Defending Wayne personally (not just defending the NRA) is costing a fortune.  

Knox thinks if the NRA goes bankrupt, it will of course reconstitute and continue to exist.  I hope so.

The ILA should survive OK.  

The Friends of the NRA should be OK.  

Both organizations have been trying to separate themselves from the mother ship for the last couple of years. 

Perhaps restarting from the ground up would be best.  

Other than that, things are fine; just fine!

Oh yes…

More scoop from Jeff Knox. 

Attendance this weekend is way down, and it’s causing a panic.  The recent Great American Outdoor Show did really well, and that only makes it look worse.

And the missing exhibitors DOES appear due to them being tired of the general BS that makes up the NRA “leadership”.

The fun stuff, what I’ve seen the first two days. 

The alleged new Army rifle, the SigSauer XM7, has been criticized for being heavy.

I can attest that thing is every ounce as heavy as it looks.

The Sig booth was close to the Ohio Ordnance booth.  I handled their semiauto 1918A3 after the XM7, and while the BAR is a fair amount heavier, its better balance made the difference feel slight.  That describes the XM7’s feel better than anything I can think of. 

Granted, the XM7 on display had the optic and suppressor mounted, adding to the bulk.  But since that is how it is to be used, that is how it should be judged.  Plus, the suppressor is almost a necessity because of the short barrel and high pressure cartridge.

The new revolver from Henry is not quite as ugly as it appears in pictures, but it’s no beauty.  The cylinder latch thumpiece is small.  The sights are standard fixed revolver sights (rear trough), not bad but not good.  The DA trigger pull is not terrible but not S&W or Colt Cobra level by any means.  SA trigger pull is excellent, like most revolvers.  

I can’t see that it does anything different or better than what is currently out there.  To be fair, the Henry rep said their intention was to create a companion gun to the Big Boy rifles rather than create a defense or hunting gun, and I will admit it would seem to do that very well.  

Henry’s Homesteader 9mm semiauto carbine reminds me of the old Marlin Camp 9 when viewed up close.  The receiver top is a similar profile, and the bolt appears very similar, which must be what does it. 

I got to handle four new-to-me Springfield Armory guns.  The Prodigy is their 2011/Staccato competitor, and they seem pretty nice.  I would like try one.

The SA Hellion bullpup rifle did not overwhelm me. The quality and finish appear very nice, but I did not like the ergonomics.  The thumb safety is a flip lever that rotates approximately 45 degrees.  I want to say it is located under the thumb, but that isn’t quite right.  It sits a little high up on the frame, so the thumb doesn’t really rest on it when in the fire position.  It seems best to rotate it, then roll the thumb off and below it.   
The ambi cocking handle is a bit odd and maybe a little cramped within its grooved area.  
The trigger is truly awful.  I tried three, and none were any better than the others.  

The SA-35 HiPower reintroduction looks pretty nice.  Attendees complained of the trigger feel, but I found it very true to originals.  I probably tried a half dozen of them, and all were about the same.  I always found Browning triggers to vary from gun to gun.  Based on them feeling much like originals, I’m guessing the same smiths can tune them up nicely.  

Their 2020 bolt action seemed nice.  Smooth action.  Good triggers.  Approx 60 degree bolt lift, like most are going to now. 

Kimber had what was the highlight of the show for me. 
For at least a couple of years, they have teased a lightweight version of the K6s revolver in .38 Spl +P instead of .357 Mag.  Everyone who has handled or shot my K6s loved it but disliked the weight.  
The new lightweight was there, called the K6XS, for what the rep called their “soft release”.   Availability is expected in July.  MSRP is $679.  

Marlin (Maruger?) recently added the 336 to the returning rifles list  
The pistol caliber model 1894 is scheduled for this summer  

Ruger had the Super Wrangler, a .22 Magnum version of the Wrangler.  
The standard Wrangler is now made in a variety of barrel lengths.  

Barrett’s MRAD won the last army sniper rifle competition.  They now have a new MRAD SMR that swaps bolt heads and magazines to adapt to magnum or .338 Lapua calibers.  

The Tippmann Arms booth is a fascinating place. Do I want the 9mm Gatling gun that uses Glock magazines, or the .22 Gatling gun that feeds from a belt?

Lots of dry fire attachments; both laser muzzle tracing devices and mechanical ones to reset the trigger so you don’t have to run the slide for each “shot”.  If I get through tomorrow without buying a Mantis, I will have done well.   (P.S. I made it.)

Next year’s Annual Meetings will be in Dallas. 

Winchester has had a… let’s say entry level…semiauto .22 called the Wildcat for a few years now.  It’s not bad looking, and retail starts at $289.95. 
It comes with useful peep sights and a pic rail, which might save you a few bucks. 
Made in Turkey. 

It may not be new, but new to me, is a bolt action counterpart called the Xpert.  The trigger is actually pretty decent as it comes, and is adjustable.  
Also made in Turkey  

Both the Winchester .22s can use 10/22 magazines. 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 
April 17, 2023

NRA Reelects Charles Cotton as President, Wayne LaPierre as CEO/EVP at Indianapolis Board of Directors Meeting

77,246 people gather for NRA Annual Convention

Indianapolis, IN – The National Rifle Association of America (NRA) announces the election results from its Board of Directors Meeting held in Indianapolis, IN. Charles Cotton was reelected NRA President, former Congressman Bob Barr was elected as First Vice President, and David Coy reelected Second Vice President. Wayne LaPierre was again elected CEO and Executive Vice President.

In recognition of his extraordinary leadership these past two years, the NRA Board of Directors  voted unanimously to amend its bylaws to allow Cotton to succeed himself for a third term. In addition to his responsibilities as NRA President, Cotton is Chairman of the Audit Committee and a transformational leader.

LaPierre was re-elected by the NRA Board of Directors, who annually elect the CEO/EVP. The Board of Directors are elected by NRA members. This followed a vote at the NRA Members Meeting on April 15, 2023, where members expressed confidence in Mr. LaPierre. The weekend festivities were proceeded by the NRA-Institute for Legislative Action on April 14, 2023 – a gathering of thousands of pro-Second Amendment elected officials, presidential candidates, and grassroots supporters. 

• 1 month later...

From the blog NRA in Danger

https://nraindanger.wordpress.com/2023/06/08/ny-lawsuit-court-ruling/

“Here is today’s main ruling. The court strikes 13 of NRAs affirmative defenses, plus several by the individual defendants. In separate rulings, the court denied Josh Powell and Woody Phillips’ motions to dismiss.

Looking at NRA’s Answer, the defenses that the court struck included: All claims relating to the First Amendment and the NY Attorney General’s bias, selective enforcement of the law, and an attack on appointment of a financial monitor.

The ruling ends with, “ORDERED that, as soon as reasonably possible, the parties submit a joint letter proposing a trial plan and schedule so that the Court can reserve the necessary dates.”

To make a long story short, it was a disastrous day in court for NRA and its former officials. Again.”

• 6 months later...