Practically Shooting

Tell me about reloading

Tom

I've reloaded some shotgun shells in the past but that was a long time ago. It was using a friend's tools so I don't know much about cost, etc.

With my new .40 and looking at ammo prices and the amount you can easily shoot at one range session I'm wondering about reloading.

Is it cost-effective if you only reload one caliber and you shoot 500 rounds a year?

What is required to get into it at an entry level?

Do pistol and rifle cartridges require different presses? i.e. can a basic setup do .22-250 and .40 as long as you have the correct dies and associated parts?

Is it cost-effective if you only reload one caliber and you shoot 500 rounds a year?

Probably not, but let's not stop there. If you reload you will get to shoot more because it will be cheaper. I tell people that it's worth reloading if you will shoot more - it's a win/win. Reloading is fun and shooting is fun, so one feeds on the other.

Originally Posted By: Tom
What is required to get into it at an entry level?

For a couple hundred dollars you can start with a Lee single station kit.

Originally Posted By: Tom
Do pistol and rifle cartridges require different presses? i.e. can a basic setup do .22-250 and .40 as long as you have the correct dies and associated parts?

There are a couple progressive presses than may not work with pistol and rifle, but I don't know of any single station presses that won't reload both that you have described.

Wayne

I have a Dillon 550 and have reloaded 30.06, 308, 223, 38/357, 40S@W 9mm, 45acp and 300 Weatherby mag on it. I have owned it since 1991 and the primer device quit working last week ,called Dillon and I have a new primer device covered by the no BSwarranty delivered yesterday. If you look at the Calif pistol purchase law, the state wants you to buy a handgun a month. Once you learn the machine you can do 500 rounds in 2 hours without breaking a sweat. Reloading can add lots of fun to the sport of shooting. ..... I started loading on a RCBS single stage press in 1976 a Dillon is the way to go the extra $$$$ is well worth it.