Practically Shooting

Has anyone handled a Glock with the new grip?

wwillson

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 1911's, but never anything custom. I got rid of them after some time of ownership.

I'm a Glock convert through and through. Obviously these are personal choices, and so no one is "right or wrong" here, but there are so many things I appreciate in a Glock.

Accuracy = well more than "good enough" (always qualify at "expert" level at my department, with room to spare)

Combat designed = functional under stress (passive safeties)

Fewer parts (as much as 50% less than some guns) = simplicity

Can be used "as is" = no "custom" features or tuning needed, like a 1911

Not that I don't appreciate the lineage and history of the 1911, or the awesome produts out there in that design. It's just that I don't need a Priceless Princess when Ugly Betty will get the job done. I have always been into function over form. Like I said; it's a personal choice.

The only way they'll make those guns thinner is by going to a single stack magazine. That might make them easier to carry but probably not easier to shoot. The problem with the current model grip frame is the finger grooves and the recess on the bottom rear of the trigger guard. Unless the hard plastic fits your hand perfectly, it's going to be uncomfortable to shoot after a while.

Here's what my hand looked like after shooting 500+ rounds through my G23 in 2 days.

I love the chunk of flesh on the trigger guard. mad

My friends G-23 did the samething to his middle finger. We actually got out the dremel and smoothed that spot on the trigger housing.

One problem he had was the ammo he was using. It was the Winchester Q-Load, 180gr. I had him switch over to the Winchester Ranger 155gr JHP's and the recoil was much more managable, and a lot easier to shoot.

Another friend has a S&W M&P compact 40 S&W. He is a very good pistol shooter and he had a real problem with the recoil of the 40 180gr loads. It physically hurt his hands to shoot it! He switched over to a lighter bullet load and is much happier.

In the compact pistols, at least in the 40's, the common thread is the recoil and muzzle jump of the heavier bullet 40S&W ammo. I think that the small size and light weight of the pistols contribute to this. Choose your ammo carefully.

I may try the Dremel at some point. I've been shooting my reloads in that gun almost exclusively. A 165g Rainier bullet at 1050fps. Not hot loads but not bunny farts either. They recoil less than the White Box Winchester ammo.

I have some lighter bullets to load. I just haven't tried them yet.