Practically Shooting

Copper plated cast bullets w/lube

wwillson

Best I can tell you is to file the copper off at a 45 deg. angle and look at it under a magnifying glass or loupe. You can use a hair (not that type, although they are thinner) usually .003"- .005" as a comparison. Remember, hair isn't round. It's eliptical in cross section, so if you measure one you're measuring the thinest dimmension.

True plated cladding should appear about 50% thicker, on the filed profile, than the actual thickness, and about the same as the hair. Washed won't have any perceptible thickness in the filed profile.

There is definitely 'thickness' to the copper, so I would guess that it's plated, not washed. However, it's really hard to say how thick it is without a much stronger magnifying glass than what I have. I can say though that it's almost impossible to scratch off, again making my believe it's electro-plated.

So let's assume that these bullets are plated. Is there any reason to lube bullets when they are plated?

Wayne

Might have been some caster that worked at a plating shop and was rolling his own.

I've never seen plated and lubed bullets.

Could have been some sort of manufacturing snafu. They sent the wrong bullets off to the plater.

Measure them are they jacked diameter for caliber or oversized as in cast/swagged?

• 3 years later...

I know this thread had not been active for quite some time but does anyone NOW know who made those copper plated and lubed bullets?

Those are the bullets that my father used to reload back in the early 90's before he passed away and I only have a couple thousand rounds left. I love the accuracy and would rather not have to play with the dies if I don't have to...

Thanks

-nick

I know this thread had not been active for quite some time but does anyone NOW know who made those copper plated and lubed bullets?

Those are the bullets that my father used to reload back in the early 90's before he passed away and I only have a couple thousand rounds left. I love the accuracy and would rather not have to play with the dies if I don't have to...

Thanks

-nick

Nick,

Are you looking for already loaded ammunition with copper plated bullets?

Wayne