Practically Shooting

Oh, no...I bought another pistol!

G-MAN

I went down to Academy a little while ago because they had their Monarch 9mm brass on sale for $7.99 a box. When I got there they were all sold out, so I stood there talking to the gun manager who was showing a guy some Glocks. The Glock 26 he was looking at caught my eye. I picked it up and fiddled with it while the guy moved on to looking at Rugers. He wound up getting a SR9. I played with the 26 a little more then handed it back to the manager. But as I was walking toward the front of the store to leave I kept thinking about how good it felt in my hand. I was surprised because when I got my Ruger P95 I tried a Glock 17 and I did not like that at all. But the 26 is smaller and lighter, and the grip is shorter. I kept walking...and thinking...about how I still really haven't settled on a gun I will be comfortable carrying concealed all the time once my permit comes. So I turned around and went back to the gun counter and played with the 26 some more. And wound up getting it. grin

Pics to follow.

How is the muzzle flip? I would expect considerable flip being that it's so short and light.

I haven't shot it yet. I'm planning to take to the range on Wednesday.

I don't think the muzzle flip will be too bad for a couple of reasons: The bore axis is very low on a Glock, and the grip angle is steeper than on most other pistols. For example, my P95 has quite a bit of muzzle flip even though it's a relatively heavy gun because the bore axis is so high and the grip angle is rather upright.

Here is a good video that shows Glock sub compact recoil in 9mm, .40, and 10mm. The first gun he shoots in the demonstration is a Glock 26 in 9mm.

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Sure looks like there are no control problems with the 9mm, but with the 10mm there was considerably more. I'd say the 10mm and possibly the 40 might be a bit much for some.

The Glock 26, 27, and 29 are all the same size gun. These are roughly the same size as my PPK/S but lighter in weight. In a gun this size I think 9mm (especially if you're shooting +P loads) is about as stout as I want to go. I think the .40 and especially the 10mm is too much for a gun this size and weight.

Did you leave the copper lube on the gun when you cleaned it? They claim it's for break in and should left on until it disappears.

I left a little bit, but only because the stuff is so tenacious and hard to clean out of the slide rails. There was nothing in the manual about leaving it. The manual said disassemble, clean, and lube before shooting. And the recommended lube is oil, not grease.

My 23 had a note somewhere that said to leave the copper lube for "break in." Apparently it's some type of anti-seize paste.

I did the same as you by the way. I cleaned things up as best I could but didn't try to get all the paste off. Then I used Rem oil to lube everything.

My 23 had a note somewhere that said to leave the copper lube for "break in." Apparently it's some type of anti-seize paste.

I did the same as you by the way. I cleaned things up as best I could but didn't try to get all the paste off. Then I used Rem oil to lube everything.

I suspect all auto makers put some sort of grease on the slide rails during final assembly. My Ruger P95 was full of it. I think they do it because, realistically, how many people are going to buy the gun, take it home and tear it down, clean and lube it properly, and then go shoot it? Not many. Most are going to buy it and head to the range. The grease is in there so the gun doesn't get fired "dry" right out of the box. And they use grease because it will stay put no matter how long the gun sits on the shelf before someone buys it.

Looks like I should have read the manual more closely. Page 37: "Note that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of a brand new GLOCK pistol should not be removed, as it will help to provide long-term lubrication of the slide."

Oh well...as anal as I am about cleaning and lubing my guns I don't think the absence of this assembly lube is going to be detrimental to my 26.

I agree. Those guns are super durable. I had a Glock armorer tell me they have more problems with too much lubrication than too little. So I don't think you have a worry.

I had shot 500-600 rounds through my 23 before I cleaned it the first time. The paste was almost all gone at that point, just some left in areas that don't really contact.

I left that small amount, then cleaned everything up and used oil as instructed in the manual. I expect I'll wear out before that gun. wink

Nice Glock, I've looked at that one a time or two but not sure I'm ready to go over to the Glock side. I'm not even sure I want any more poly pistols at all.

They went through that ammo pretty quick, didn't they? I got five boxes Sunday night (the limit) when the ad first came out. I think it was the steel cased ammo that was supposed to have been pictured instead of the brass, so I doubt the brass will show back up until the sale is over.

I picked up two (2) of the Sarsilmaz (sp?) Hancers they were closing out for $278.88/each.

You guys sound about as anal here about your gun cleaning/lubing here as you do at BITOG about your cars! grin

Take 'er home, shoot the $hit outa it, after a few 3-5 hundred round outings, when it acts like it may have some thickened pancake syrup in there somewhere, THEN pull the slide, hose her off with Brakleen, slather it down with whatever lube's handy and go again!

MANUAL?? You boys can't figger out how a firearm works without readin' all them warnings, danger, etc., how do you ever manage something complicated like how vicegrips work ? Although, I really was glad the guy I bought my first SKS from took the time to show me how to get the trigger group out! Nothing about that system is as you would expect!

Bob