Practically Shooting

My "new" FEG Hi-Power arrived today.

G-MAN

I'm blown away by the quality and fit and finish of this FEG Hi-Power. I don't know where this guy gets his stock, but this is not one of the FEGs that was imported into the U.S. by KBI in the 90s. This doesn't have PJK-9HP on the slide (the model designation chosen by KBI for the FEG Hi-Powers they imported), nor does it have any KBI roll marks on it. It simply has "Parabellum Cal. 9mm Made in Hungary FEG - Budapest" on the slide. This gun has been refinished with a nice dark gray parkerising. If it wasn't for the badly worn wood grips the gun would look new. I think it was a holster queen. Doesn't appear to have been fired very much at all. Barrel lugs are nice and sharp. Serial number on barrel, slide and frame all match.

I've got it broken down to clean now. Once I get it back together I'll take some pics. I'll reserve judgment until I get it on the range tomorrow and see how it shoots, bur right now it's looking like a killer deal at $220.00. Even with the FFL transfer fee and shipping, I'll still have less than $300 in this gun.

(It's been a quarter century since I last handled a Browning Hi-Power so I'd forgotten how petite these are in comparison to a 1911.)

IIRC, my FEG was marked C.A.I. as the importer with a Vermont address. I would go look, but it's in the safe at the office.

I'm not surprised yours has a high level of fit, that FEG I got has superb fit and finish.

At the prices, they are a steal if they shoot even halfway decent. Let us know how yours shoots.

IIRC, my FEG was marked C.A.I. as the importer with a Vermont address. I would go look, but it's in the safe at the office.

I'm not surprised yours has a high level of fit, that FEG I got has superb fit and finish.

At the prices, they are a steal if they shoot even halfway decent. Let us know how yours shoots.

On most of the Browning forums FEGs get trashed. I read posts about tool marks on the inside and outside, sloppy fit, etc. There is none of that on my FEG. Tool marks on the inside are about the same as on Hi-Powers made by FN that I've seen. And there are no tool marks on the exterior of mine anywhere. Also, there are no importation marks on mine anywhere, which leads me to believe this gun was originally sold in Europe.

Here's a couple pics:

One thing I discovered when I took the pistol apart last night: The magazine disconnect has been removed. Hi-Powers have notoriously bad trigger pull, and this one is no different. I hate to think what it must have been like when the mag disconnect was still in there.