Practically Shooting

.40 S&W OR .45 ACP?

Scotty

Scotty,

If you consider only the cartridge, it's not a clear cut choice. The energy of the 45ACP and the 40S&W are very similar. When you consider the new personal defense ammunition, I would say it really doesn't matter which caliber you choose. If you take cost of factory ammunition into account, the 45ACP will almost always cost more for like ammo. If you plan on shooting a fair amount, then the factory ammo cost my help you with your decision. If you reload, the cost differential is much less.

Food for thought, the 45ACP is considerably lower pressure then the 40S&W. When I shoot at indoor ranges the 40S&W is just much louder and harder on the ears than a 45ACP. When you are outdoors it really doesn't matter that much.

I'm sure others will bring up great points to help you make a choice. If you can't decide, then buy one of each!

Wayne

Yeah, it may come down to just ammo cost. I've been studying this for a while and there really doesn't seem to be a big difference. Maybe the .40 shoots a little flatter. Maybe a bigger selection of pistols are chambered for the .45. I really don't know. Hopefully someone has a lot of experience with both and can share ideas.

Noise and flash could be a factor in home defense mode.

For home defense, the .45 ACP. Less worries about over-penetration than with the .40 S&W.

Around here .45 ACP ammo is cheaper than .40 S&W. But 9mm is still the cheapest, at roughly half the cost of .40 S&W. Last time I checked prices at Academy:

9mm: $12 box

.40: $22 box

.45: $18 box

.40S&W is cheap and easy to find around here, about $13 for a box of 50. It is the easiest to find of all the common calibers. .45ACP is harder to find, and about 40% more expensive when available.

For home defense at our primary home, it's .45ACP. At our secondary home, I hope to put a CZ 75 SP01 in .40S&W into service, assuming my wife can shoot it OK. For personal defense at my office, I keep either a Hi Point .40 or .45 in my desk, sometimes both.

For target shooting/plinking, personally I think .40S&W comes across as a little harsh, particularly in a polymer pistol.