Practically Shooting

Went to the shooting range today [pics]

G-MAN

The rain quit this morning so I went to our local firing range run by the parks department this afternoon. Wednesdays are pistol days and they had the range set up for a "self defense" distance of 15 yards. (Keep in mind that this was the first time I've fired a pistol in 25 years.)

Started off with my new Ruger P95. What a pleasure to shoot. Hardly any recoil. In fact, in 50 rounds I had 2 stovepipes from limp-wristing because the gun is just so easy to shoot I let my grip on the gun get a little too weak a couple of times. The DA pull sucks and I really need to practice with this for double action. Single action pull isn't bad at all.

Here is the target of my first 15 rounds from the P95:

Here is the next 30 rounds (2 clips). Really started tightening up as I got into the third clip.

Next came my new FireStorm 1911 .45 ACP. This gun is amazing. Not a single malfunction in 50 rounds. And I can shoot this better than the P95. Here is my first 7 rounds:

I only had one target left, so here are the remaining 43 rounds from the FireStorm. The last three clips were all pretty much dead center.

The firestorm looks to have a smooth front strap. Did you have any trouble with it slipping in your hand? My Kimber Custom II has a smooth front strap that really needs some stippling or checkering.

No problems in the 50 rounds that I shot.

I think from a bench rest this pistol could easily do sub 2" groups at 25 yards.

I've got an Ed Brown stainless bushing and recoil spring plug coming tomorrow for it. The really nice rosewood grips I ordered came today, but I've got to modify them a little. They won't fit with the extended safety slide release that are on this pistol.

GMAN,

Why the Ed Brown parts? I have an Ed Brown barrel & bushing in my Kimber - great products...

Wayne

Two reasons: First, I just like the way the blue Ed Brown 1911s look with the stainless bushing. Second, the OEM bushing on the Firestorm has very sharp edges--razor sharp. I cut myself on it doing the first field strip. Ed Brown bushings have beveled edges.

I'm considering putting an Ed Brown stainless barrel in, too. The barrel on the FireStorm is the one area where they clearly skimped as far as finish. Obviously based on its performance today at the range, this barrel shoots good. But as for finish, it had a very poor mat bluing. I removed that yesterday with Navel Jelly and then polished the barrel to a nice bright shine. Looks 100% better now, but I would like to have the corrosion resistance of stainless.

What is the black stuff in your barrel?

Bluing. The barrel on this gun had a lousy mat finish and blue job. I used Navel Jelly to remove the bluing from the outside of the barrel and then polished it. If you look closely you can see the line of demarcation inside the muzzle where the Navel Jelly removed the bluing inside.

Barrell replacement's a bit tricker. Unless it's fitted by a competent gunsmith, accuracy, reliability, and even safety will more than likely be compromised. Drop in bbls don't.

Bob

Agreed. A "drop in" barrel means (if everything is in spec) that minimal fitting will be needed--but it still has to be fitted.

I was comfortable putting in a "drop in" bushing--that was no big deal. But if I do decide to get an Ed Brown barrel I'll have a gunsmith that knows what he's doing fit it.