Practically Shooting

Pic of my Walther PPK: Need advice

G-MAN

I bought this gun 25 years ago. It was one of the first PPKs made in the U.S. under license from Walther in Germany.

I've already posted about my new Ruger P95 and my plans to get a concealed carry permit. I spent the weekend wearing my P95 around the house in a clip holster and I can see now that I won't be carrying this thing much if any. It may look like a relatively compact handgun when compared to a big .357 revolver, but when you put it on your hip, it's a big chunk. So, realistically, I think when I carry it will be the PPK. So here is where I need some advice: Should I take the PPK to the concealed carry course and use it during the shooting test instead of the P95? I've e-mailed the course instructor and asked him the same question but haven't heard back.

Boy, GMAN, thats a tough call. Do you have to qualify with the firearm you intend to carry? Can you qualify with both handguns?

My stepson who is now a Correction's Officer asked me what to carry for his CCW. I told him to pick a gun, go buy the airsoft copy and carry it for a week of two to see if you like it and is comfortable. He did just that and bought a Glock 19 for his CCW.

Gman, I don't think any state requires your CCW gun to be the one you qualify with. I know NC doesn't. If you need to qualify with your CCW weapon, what happens when you want a different one? Re-qualification? I've seen people qualify with .22 hand guns and they'll flat out tell you it was because the gun they're going to carry is not the one they're proficient with. Then there are the ones that qualify with .500 S&W's and carry .22 pocket pistols.

I think I'm going to take the P95. I remember what a hand-biter this PPK is. After a couple of clips of plinking my hand was usually bleeding.

(Mine is an early Interarms model that doesn't have the extended tang and other improvements found on the the newer PPKs made by S&W.)

I'd take the Ruger.

I had a PPK, like yours one of the first to be made in the US. Under 1000 S/N in fact. I had it for a few months but never shot it.

Good thing I never needed it since when I finally got around to shooting it the gun wouldn't fire.

The dealer sent it back to Walther/Interarms. After an almost 6 month wait they sent me a new gun.

I shot all of 2 boxes of ammo through that gun and sold it. It was a hand biter as you remember and other than being small had no redeeming qualities that I can think of.

Something like a Smith 3913 isn't that much larger but it's superior in every way.

I'd take the Ruger.

I had a PPK, like yours one of the first to be made in the US. Under 1000 S/N in fact. I had it for a few months but never shot it.

Good thing I never needed it since when I finally got around to shooting it the gun wouldn't fire.

The dealer sent it back to Walther/Interarms. After an almost 6 month wait they sent me a new gun.

I shot all of 2 boxes of ammo through that gun and sold it. It was a hand biter as you remember and other than being small had no redeeming qualities that I can think of.

Something like a Smith 3913 isn't that much larger but it's superior in every way.

My s/n is in the 5000 range. Fit and finish on this gun is superb, and the bluing is some of the best I've ever seen on any gun at any price. It looks like a deep pool of blue-black ink that you could just dive into.

When Arkansas first passed CCW you were required to have the S.N. of the (3) firearms you planned to carry ON THE CARD! Now if you shoot a revolver at the class you are only qualified to carry a revolver. If you use a auto, you are qualified to carry either. 'Course if you can manage not to shoot the instructor or another student here you get certified. No minimun score on a standardized target or any such. My wife and I went together to the class and both used my Ruger MKII 22. While shooting, I noticed my target seemed to be getting a LOT of holes,,,turned out guy standing next to me (5 shooters on the line at a time) was shooting my target also!! We both qualified (er,,should I say we three?). Was really proud of my wife, Stood there like a trooper belting them out without a flinch while being bombarded by hot brass from shooter beside her.

Shoot what you're most comfortable with,,,CARRY what you feel most comfortable with,,,They don't have to be the same!

An old, possibly collectable, probably valuable pistol like your PPK? Leave it in the safe, or sell it, find something like a KAR or KelTech thats more suitable for modern CCW.

Bob

Bob

My s/n is in the 5000 range. Fit and finish on this gun is superb, and the bluing is some of the best I've ever seen on any gun at any price. It looks like a deep pool of blue-black ink that you could just dive into.

My replacement pistol had a 48XX or 49XX S/N.

I do agree on the fit and finish. Both of mine were superlative, as good as the German made guns at the time. I just didn't find the gun all that comfortable to shoot and accuracy was so-so.

A lot of people have these guns and like them. They just don't do it for me...