Practically Shooting

Inconsistent loads - Lee Pro Auto Disk + Universal

I loaded 100 45ACP loads with my Lee Pro Disk powder measure. To get the grains of Hodgdon Universal Clays that I wanted, two disks were stacked with .30 + .30 together. Normally I only use one disk with a considerably larger hole and don't have any troubles with inconsistent drops. I suspected that with the .30 holes Universal might bridge, so I tapped on the reservoir just before dropping the powder.

Universal is a pretty small flake, so I would have thought this would have worked well. The loads were terribly inconsistent and I won't do this again.

I wonder what powder would meter well through this small of a hole?

Below is a picture to show the size of the .30 hole in the disk.

Wayne

Wayne,

You might want to give Winchester 231 a try. It's a small spherical powder that meters very well. When I actually reloaded for .45acp in a Dillon 550, thats what I used and it was very consistant, both with powder drops and velocity strings over a chronograph. It was really accurate.

Rugerman,

I wonder what 'tapping' method should be used for consistent loads? A hard hammer like whack, or a love tap? crazy It does seem a bit silly to have to tap the measure...

I think I'll just use a single larger cavity and take a slightly smaller charge.

Wayne

You can ream out that smaller hole to a larger charge, with a piece of rolled up sandpaper, if you want. Just record the new charge weight when you do. Remember, each lot of the same type powder will have a different VMD. The adjustable charge bar is also an option.