Practically Shooting

Pic of my M-1C Garand

G-MAN

My dad gave me this rifle just before he died. It was given to him by a friend he had in the BATF. I grew up hearing my dad's Marine Corps stories of his M1.

Some of the last times my dad and I spent together were on my uncle's farm shooting it. It is without a doubt my all time favorite rifle. A real pleasure to shoot and handled everything I ran through it, from 125 gr varmint loads to full 150 gr military ball.

Trivia question: Anyone know the difference between the M1C and the standard M1?

I found this on Google:

The M1C and M1D .30 cal. Sniper Rifles were specially adapted for sniper use from the M1 Garand service rifle. The M1C and M1D sniper rifles served the U.S. Army and Marine Corps from late in WW II through the mid-1960s.

Wayne

Yep. The M1C was the first sniper version of the M1 that was actually adopted and put into use. It's got a G&H scope mount (which you can't see in my photo because it's on the other side of the receiver.)

The M1C was not simply a standard grade M1 with a scope stuck on it. The barrel was match grade and when used with match amo was capable of outstanding accuracy. The M1C was the primary sniper weapon for US forces during the Korean war.

Mine's been cut down and turned into a "Tanker" version. Never were produced in volume, experimental only. With an 18" bbl., it's hard to get enough hearing protection!

G Man, yours so do as you please, but conventional wisdom is to only fire ammo with same basic balistics/burn rates/pressures, etc. as military ball, as anything else can do damage (bend) the op-rod/piston assy.

Another difference between standard Garand and "C",,,,about $2,000.00!

Bob