Practically Shooting

If you could have only one pistol...

Scotty

Hmmm... I must be mistaken... I've always referred to both revolvers and auto-loaders as "pistols".

I wonder if the definition of "pistol" has perhaps morphed over the past generation to refer mainly to auto-loading pistols exclusively-

Well- since I also now have an auto-loader- I would say my SIG SP2022 in .40 S&W- it is quite accurate and not unpleasant at all to shoot.

Definition from Wikipedia:

Multiple senses of the word "pistol"

The word "pistol" is often synonymous with the word "handgun". Some handgun experts make a technical distinction that views pistols as a subset of handguns. Sometimes in American usage, the term "pistol" refers to a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel, making pistols distinct from the other main type of handgun, the revolver, which has a revolving cylinder containing multiple chambers. However, Commonwealth usage makes no distinction at a technical level—"pistol" may refer to revolvers, semi-automatics, or muzzle-loading/cap-&-ball handguns. For example, the official designation of the Webley Mk VI was "Pistol, Revolver, Webley No. 1 Mk VI", and the designation "Pistol No. 2 Mk I" was used to refer to both the Enfield Revolver and the later Browning Hi-Power semi-automatic.

The first pistols were made as early as the 15th century, but their creator is unknown. By the 18th century, the term came to be used often to refer to handheld firearms. Practical revolver designs appeared in the 19th century, and it was in that century that the (sometimes-observed) technical differentiation in usage of the words "pistol" and "revolver" developed, at that time differentiating the newer revolver from the single-shot pistols previously in use.

In terms of versatility a .22 would be a close second for me. Sounds funny but I have a Ruger Standard purchased new in 1980. It has never failed me and I'm deadly with it. That would be my choice in .22.

I always wanted a S&W K-22 Masterpiece. Still slightly prefer autos though.

Only one? Have to be my Ruger MkII 22. Cheap to shoot , reliable, not so outrageiously loud, DEADLY. Acurate enough for small game.

That's considering/including the half dozen Pythons in the safe, and a couple custom 1911's.

Kinda against new terminology, but I've all ways considered 'em all pistols. Divided into 2 sub-groups, auto's and revolvers. Even if I make the mistake of calling a revolver a pistol,,you'll know I ain't shootin' at ya with a AK47 wink

Bob

Bob,

You are right, it's not right for me not to mention my Ruger MKII. I bought it new when I was in college and have probably run 50,000 rounds through it. Everything on the pistol is original and still works like it's brand new. With the bull barrel and adjustable sights, it's accuracy is just fantastic - much better than I'll ever be.

Wayne

That's a tough question.

I guess I would have to choose the HK USP .45 in full size.

My wife has a Sig P220 carry, also in .45, and it is a nice gun.

Third choice would be the Beretta 92FS.

I think I would be OK with any one of these, but the HK would be my first choice.

After much thought ,,,, a couple of months ago I was at the range and the guy next to me had a real trick SVT or some thing like that race gun in 38 super I was able to try. There was no muzzle lift less recoil than a ruger 22/45 and the trigger was the finest trigger on a pistol that I ever shot, light as a feather yet you could feel the break ,all the bullets wanted to go into a 1 hole group most impressive. It was a 1911 of course.

After much thought ,,,, a couple of months ago I was at the range and the guy next to me had a real trick SVT or some thing like that race gun in 38 super I was able to try. There was no muzzle lift less recoil than a ruger 22/45 and the trigger was the finest trigger on a pistol that I ever shot, light as a feather yet you could feel the break ,all the bullets wanted to go into a 1 hole group most impressive. It was a 1911 of course.

S. T. I. Strayer, Tripp, Inc.

Bob

My first choice was an officer's acp. Now got old and it hurts to much to shoot that blastgun a lot, so now I love my Springfield Armory Champion v10 stainless with integral compensation. 8 rounds as fast as you can shoot at 10 yards and you can cover all the holes with a playing card.

Dan