Practically Shooting

Progressive shotgun press - which one?

All,

I know this is a can of worms, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I'm shooting enough shotgun now that I'm getting really tired of standing at my MEC single station press. One of the main requirements, other than the press work well, is that the rammer tube be able to seat VP-60 & VP-65 steel wads. They have virtually no cushion and require a long rammer tube to seat properly. Having the rammer tube extended also means that the rammer tube might not clear the hull on some presses. I've been told by a member that the Dillon rammer tube barely clears hull when loading the VP-60 and won't clear for the VP-65, so that pretty much eliminates the Dillon. I think the other options in my price range are the Hornady, MEC, and RCBS presses.

If you have experience with either of these presses, I would like to know your opinion of the press(es). I'm particularly interested in the operation of the primer feed system, which can be the most frustrating part of any progressive press. And, of course, if the rammer tube can be extended to seat virtually cushion-less steel wads.

Thanks,

Wayne

I have never reloaded steel but I can comment on the 8567n MEC's.

The new primer systems on the new MEC progressive's are much better than the old chain operated system and also hold 200 primers, compared to 100 for the old set up. Once set up, the primer system is pretty good. Still, sometimes a primer will fail to feed and drop. I am so used to this that I look the primer all the way to the seating die. I have a Dewalt battery vacuum handy just in case I miss the primer not falling.

The rammer tube is a different story. I use Claybuster wads in all 4 gauges and use almost zero wad pressure. I really don't know if MEC has anything to solve your problem. Maybe you should call MEC, explain the problems you are having and maybe they have a solution. Does the steel shot wads require a different wad guide? Do they have to be seated farther down than a wad designed for lead ?

It might be better to find out if your steel problems can be solved before you spend $350+ on a new press.

Moe,

I use the standard wad guide for the steel wads, so no nothing special. The wads do need to be seated slightly deeper as the petals are slightly longer. The VP-60 shot column is much longer than a 1-1/8oz lead wad because a 1oz of steel has a LOT more volume than 1-1/8 oz lead.

The picture does a pretty good job of showing how much longer the shot column is in a 1oz steel wad vs. 1-1/8oz lead wad.

Wayne

Moe,

The problem is that you can just install a longer tube unless the press has the clearance. You'll have problems getting the wad into the guide and sometimes problems with the longer rammer clearing the hull as it advances to the next station. It really is a catch-22.

Wayne

I am just trying to think out of the box. Are the hulls you are using designed for steel or are they common WW AA or Rem STS? I would assume that you are using a recipe for the particular hull you are using. Does the shot fill the case? And if it does, do the wad pedals extend all the way to where the crimp starts just underneath the crimp fold?

I was thinking that maybe a bulkier powder(slower)that takes up more hull space might work. But if your crimps are good and not concave, I just don't know what to do. A catch 22 is a great description.

You may have to go to a 7/8 ounce load.

My 1oz tested recipe is for the Rem STS. The shot is level with the top of the petals and the petals are the correct distance under the fold such that it give me a beautiful crimp - the crimp looks like factory new. The seating depth is 'just right' so I'm going to have to find a press that will work around these requirements.

Wayne

• 4 weeks later...