Practically Shooting

reload setup

dicedog

This will be fun...

A few things before we even get to the reloading. What type of flooring? I wouldn't recommend carpet in a reloading room because of the static and the stains you'll get if you drop lube etc. You'll need really good lighting, lots of fine detail in reloading. You almost can't have enough cabinet space to keep the many tools, die sets, bullets, brass, primers, powders, etc. A very sturdy workbench is a must as well - I built my own and screwed it right to the wall so it doesn't move.

I can't wait to start talking about the reloading equipment!

cheers

Just a few thoughts - I'm sure others here will come up with many more thoughts.

Wayne

Excellent advice on carpet. you will spill powder, you don't want to pick it up with a vacuum cleaner! Same on the bench. build it allong one full wall, out of rigid materials. No flex, jiggle.

Now, who'd gonna be first to tell him "You must start with a single stage system and practice for a few years before you are competent enough to (throw all that equipment away and buy new)use progresive? Start with progressive and never look back.

Bob

As for vacuums. Suck through, the filter types, (any shop vac and many houshold types) are ok to pick up powder. The old Kirby, through the impeller and then into the bag type are not.

Carpet? I put a short pile area rug under my bench to keep dropped things from going too far when they hit the floor. It may be because my reload work area is on a slab, but I've yet to notice any static build up from it.

Link to users bench pics.

Thanks guys,

I have carpet and it is a new home.At first I thought I needed to rip out the carpet.My wife is nice enough to give me the

room to use.Can I buy a sturdy bench or fasten to the studs

with brackets?I was going to put a plastic carpet runner

under work area but static electricity.

Dicedog

Run a small wire from press mount bolts to center cover mounting screw on nearest receptacle.

I also use a area carpeted mat to ease strain on feet (can also be taken outside and shook). I'm just too messy to work on carpet!

For a prebuilt work bench, think I'd hit used furntiure/junk shops to see what might come to hand.

Bob

I have had a Dillon 550 reloader since 1991 and I really like it . The primer feed is the only part that I ever had to take time fine tune .It is really easy to do. Once the dies are set the calibers can be switched quick with out readjusting. Dillon dies work best with the dillon press though I have others that work but the dillon dies are the best.

38/357 is an excellent place to start! same set of dies for both. just must be adjusted differently to compensate for case length. Oh yeh, REMEMBER to reset the powder setting when switching back to 38!

I'm useing RCBS press with RCBS Piggyback progressive adaptors. If I could sell all this junk , er, stuff, I'd buy Dillon and never look back.

Bob

I will start with 38spl and 357mag.Unless someone has

a better cal.to begain with.I have all popular handguns.

I am looking at a Lee Turret press?or maybe NCBS.Dillon would be good also.

Thanks dicedog

Dillon....I have reloaded 38/357,308,30.06 ,300 Weatherby mag,.223,45acp,9mm.40 S@W on it .

• 4 weeks later...

[sNIP]

Now, who'd gonna be first to tell him "You must start with a single stage system and practice for a few years before you are competent enough to (throw all that equipment away and buy new)use progresive? Start with progressive and never look back.

Bob [/sNIP]

+0.99.

I started with a progressive myself. I think there are some folks, however, who would be better off starting with a single-stage press; namely, people who are not mechanically inclined.

My Lock-n-Load AP was out-of-time when I received it, as well as the primer shuttle needing some minor tweaking. I could see where someone who had trouble grasping the indexing concept used on the LNL AP would get highly frustrated and either damage their press or give up on reloading altogether because they bit off more than they could chew. There are several very important items that one must simultaneously and continually pay attention to when using a progressive, and because of this they may not be for everyone.

However, I was determined to start with one. I read, read, and read some more on reloading and various types of presses. Then I read more and more until I figured out I could probably start with an LNL AP as long as I was willing to be patient and all-attentive to what was going on and what I was doing. I guess if there was one thing I could tell noobs to reloading such as myself I would say never, EVER be in a hurry to set up your press and reload because reloading is one hobby where impatience can get you killed.

But now that I started with and use a progressive I ain't looking back, either wink except maybe to get a single-stage to use for depriming and other miscellaneous items where they can in fact be more convenient.

Buying a Hornady a mistake? Nah, I don't think so... just like anything mechanical, there's bound to be various issues here and there...

I think that people have as fierce of loyalties to their reloading equipment brands as they do their automobiles! Such is life.

Buying a Hornady a mistake? Nah, I don't think so... just like anything mechanical, there's bound to be various issues here and there...

I think that people have as fierce of loyalties to their reloading equipment brands as they do their automobiles! Such is life.

I DON'T OWN A DILLON! Hindsight is excellent though.

Bob