Practically Shooting

CMP 1911 Sales Update

BarryinIN

The CMP released more info today, and their site promptly crashed.   I won't go into detail, but they said the law allows the army to send them up to 10,000 1911s per year and they are getting around 8,000.  
June 9th, their website will have the ordering procedure.   
Prices are as follows:

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950.
Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850.
Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Any they deem special in any number of ways will be designated "Auction Grade" and will be sold through their online auction.  

I wouldn't mind one, but won't get in anyone's way.  

Link:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

I thought they were awfully pricey for what you're getting: a mixmaster of parts with some pitting...

I think I will wait and see how folks like them before taking the plunge...

Besides, I just got an IHC Garand this month, bought a used car Friday, and have two kids in college this fall...I'm stretched a bit thinner than I would like...

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I love the 1911 platform, and own a dozen of them in various configurations and calibers. That said these pistols are WAY overpriced for what you're getting. As Astro said, they're a mix of pitted, old parts. All of which have no traceability or history as an assembled unit.

You're basically getting a worn out, mostly shot out armory relic for close to, or in some cases over $1,000.00. That is ridiculous when you look and shop what's available in the new 1911 pistol market today. Not to mention their horrible, overly complicated, "12 step purchasing process". It just isn't worth the time, effort, or money.