Practically Shooting

Bought my first pistol in 25 years today

G-MAN

I decided about a month ago that I'm going to take the concealed carry course and get my permit. 25-30 years ago I was an avid shooter and reloader. Over the years I've sold most of my handguns, so when I made the decision to get my concealed carry permit I broke open my gun case and took a look at my handguns: A Llama 1911 clone in .45 ACP, a Dan Wesson 15 .357 4", and a Walther PPK in .380. It's been over 20 years since I've fired any of these guns. None of them are what I consider ideal as a carry pistol for personal protection.

So I started doing my research. I didn't want to spend a fortune and I wanted something that would be reliable and easy to maintain. I narrowed it down to these guns:

1. Ruger P95

2. Ruger SR9

3. Glock 17

4. S&W Sigma

5. Taurus 24/7

I went to my local gun dealer today and checked out all of these. It would have been nice to be able to actually shoot all of these before deciding on one, but I did get plenty of handle time with each one. I wound up choosing the Ruger P95. IMO, it was easily the best pistol of all those in my list when all things, including price, are considered. I was really unimpressed with the Sigma. It felt cheap and actually rattled in my hand when I shook it. All the others felt nice and solid, but the P95 had the best "feel" for me personally.

They had to order the stainless P95 I wanted with the 15 round mag and it's supposed to be in tomorrow. Concealed carry course is December 12th.

GMAN,

I have a Ruger P90, which is a similar design, but chambered in 45ACP. The Rugers really aren't sexy, but my P90 will feed anything I put in it. I'm a reloader with the bug to tinker, so I feed many different types of bullets, seating depths, crimps, etc and it just feeds everything. I wish I could say that for my 1911's. To say the P90 is sturdy is an understatement, it's been rumored that the frame was originally designed for the 10mm but who knows. It sure looks and feels like it could handle the demands of the 10mm.

I think you made a good purchase.

Wayne

I have a Ruger P90, which is a similar design, but chambered in 45ACP. The Rugers really aren't sexy, but my P90 will feed anything I put in it. I'm a reloader with the bug to tinker, so I feed many different types of bullets, seating depths, crimps, etc and it just feeds everything. I wish I could say that for my 1911's. To say the P90 is sturdy is an understatement, it's been rumored that the frame was originally designed for the 10mm but who knows. It sure looks and feels like it could handle the demands of the 10mm.

I read quite a few reviews on the P95 and it looks like durability is one of its strong points too. I was a bit concerned because unlike the Glock (the granddaddy of the polymer framed pistols) and every other polymer pistol I've read about, the P95 has no steel rails on the polymer frame for the slide friction surfaces. The slide rides directly on the polymer. But Ruger reportedly put these things through the ringer in development (20,000+ rounds) and they simply would not break. No wear on the polymer friction points at all.

I've had a P95 for about a year and I love it. Shot about 500 rounds through it without a single problem. The gun is a great value and you will not regret the purchase.

The Sigma is the only other gun on your list I have experience with. Worked fine for me but I like the P95 better.

Don't be concerned about the rails. My bet is that there will be less wear than you would get from steel on steel. Mine shows no wear at all.

Have fun.