Practically Shooting

Moly coating bullets

Clevy

Hey guys. 

So so as anyone over at bitog knows I'm an mos2 fan. So I see my hunting supply shop has moly powder for bullets. What's everyone's option on using it. 

I already know it decreases chamber pressure and velocity. I'm more interested if it actually decreases barrel temps and leads to longer barrel life. 

Towards the end of my Highpower (rifle) competition days, moly coating was the thing.   Almost everyone either bought moly'd bullets or coated them theirselves.

After talking to some active Highpower shooters over the past couple of years, it seems to have fallen from favor.  Almost nobody does it anymore. Along about the same time, my subscription to "Precision Shooting" ran out and I bought issues sporadically.   That was the best rifle accuracy magazine I've ever even heard of.   When I started taking it again, I noticed moly had gone from "The Thing To Do" to  an historical footnote.  

From what I heard and read- The problem, such as it is, comes from moisture creeping under the moly coating in the bore and  staying there, causing corrosion.   This gets missed in a standard cleaning and look over.   We were left to understand the moly coating was to stay there to avoid having to build it up again, so we did that  

The apparent solution is to clean the moly out after shooting.  The solvent of choice for that seems to be Kroil.   

But then you lose the whole part about keeping a moly coating in the bore.   You then have to "shoot it in" to get a coating back in order to regain the consistently.   It also means a must-cleaning for those guys after each session.   

At at least those are the claims.   

I only used it with two rifles.  One I no longer own.  The other was my Match Rifle, which I haven't shot in several years.  I did give it a good Kroil cleaning after hearing these stories.  I haven't shot it since then, so I can't say if any harm was done.   I should borrow a bore scope and take a look.  Maybe I'm afraid to know. Maybe I got lucky.  Maybe it's all blown out of proportion. 

Thank you very much Barry for the very informative response. 

Youve made up my mind for me. I was curious. 

From the mountains of reading I've done lately on proper bore care layering some kind of foreign substance in the bore between the copper fouling is a horribly bad idea in relation to keeping shots consistent and maintaining accuracy.  

From what I've learned the copper is of the utmost importance and it's imperative to achieve copper equilibrium. Once achieved every shot takes a bit of copper and powder fouling with it,then lays its own copper and powder fouling down. So messing with this process can have negative effects in relation to accuracy and can even mean resetting the scope because it's affected POI. 

So I'm not going to bother. I don't want to in any way disturb the process. I've been spending a lot of nights watching tiborasaurus Rex (YouTube sniper 101) and he makes quite a bit of sense in his explanations and he talks about moly bullets and how he doesn't like the impact they have in relation to accuracy. 

Thanks for the response Barry. I appreciate your input. 

• 2 weeks later...