Practically Shooting

Coolest Keychain Ever

BarryinIN

We should get a tax deduction for buying them.  Saving hearing-related health costs, you see.  

Being able to buy them is a blessing and a curse.  I don't know anyone who has bought just one.  It's a slippery slope.  You start looking at every potential new gun purchase and asking yourself how it will be with a suppressor.  

• 2 weeks later...

BarryinIN,

As of March 23, 2015, in Ohio it is now legal to hunt with guns fitted with a suppressor. You have to go to the local sheriffs office, fill out a suppressor application form for a background check, get a signature on the form by an official at the sheriffs office, the form is then sent to the BATFE for approval based on the results of your background check. You also have to pay $200 for a tax stamp for each suppressor you want to buy. Then you can contact the suppressor manufacturer / dealer and buy the suppressor with your approval documentation. For now, I'm not interested in them as they are not allowed in any target shooting matches I attend but I would like to at least hear for myself how a rifle like a .308 Win or a 7mm Remington Mag would sound with one attached. 

The match director let me use my suppressed 77//22 in silhouette.  He shouldn't, but he did.  I guess with the heavy Anschutzs and 20 or 40x scopes, I'm not exactly gaining an advantage on them.  

Indiana let us use suppressors to hunt starting last hunting season.   Nobody did anything evil that I heard about, despite predictions of treachery.  

Just yesterday, IN DNR decided against allowing "high powered rifles" for deer.  We can use some handgun caliber rifles (basically .357 Mag through .454 Casull, although some short bottleneck cases like the .458 SOCOM and some WSSM wildcats make it).   Being allowed any rifle at all is fairly new- maybe ten years or so  

The reasoning against regular rifle calibers is they travel too far.   Yet, we can hunt coyotes, fox, groundhogs, etc with anything.  OK then.  

BarryinIN

Ohio is allowing rifles firing any caliber of straight wall cartridges for deer hunting starting this year. Needless to say, that has increased the price of a lot of lever guns to way over market value. One of my friends is jumping to use his 45/70 Marlin. Yet, like you mentioned for varmint hunting in your state, in Ohio we can use any rifle caliber for varmint hunting. That just does not make sense to me.

I wonder if in the near future the CMP will allow suppressed .22 rimfire rifles in the CMP Sporter Rifle Categories?  I still just like practicing and competing with a rifle with open sights or aperture sights and a sling.