Practically Shooting

Brushing Bores--Any Need?

It depends. How much shooting do you do between cleanings? I use Shooter's Choice for all my handguns and it does remove the copper. I brush it first to remove most of the powder fouling, then soak it with SC for an hour or so. I then run patches with the proper jag through the barrel and repeat untill they come out clean. Then a little CLP on a patch to keep the inside protected.

My Kimber .38 Super is the worst for copper fouling. It takes me twice as long to get the copper out of the super. Maybe I just have to shoot it more to smooth the barrel out! Too bad ammo is expensive and pretty scarce for the .38 super.

I really have never seen a drop off in accuracy with copper fouling in any of my handguns. That being said, I am pretty anal about keeping my guns really clean both inside and out. 500 rounds of quality ammo is about as far as I would go before cleaning and lubing an autoloading pistol.

Wayne,

Less than 20 rounds and you can actually see the copper. My other 1911's and the Glocks in various calibers don't have that problem, only the Super. I have been shooting Aguila 130gr solids and that might be the problem. I will have to take one apart and actually measure the bullet diameter to see what the actual size is.

I do agree that Kimber has had a lapse of quality control lately, but that is because of the overwhelming demand for any 1911 platform pistol. My Pro Carry HDII in .38 super has been very reliable and extremly accurate. Not as accurate as my S&W 1911, but more than acceptable and 100% reliable so far.

If someone has an axe to grind against Kimber, so be it. Maybe they deserve it. Maybe they don't. I would venture to guess that there are a lot more happy Kimber owners than unhappy ones.