Practically Shooting

Want a rimfire .22 revolver suggestion

Pablo

Can anyone recommend a .22LR revolver for teaching wife and daughter to handle and shoot a revolver?

My wife can shoot my lever .22, but only .22 hand gun is my 22/45. I will wean them on to a .38 Special, but want to start everything with 22.

Thanks!!

I have a Ruger Bearcat, which works fairly well for this.  It's one of the older ones with an aluminum alloy frame, so it doesn't weigh hardly anything.  That light weight helps some people a lot.    

People tend to shoot too fast, so the single action helps naturally slow things down a bit also.  

If if you can find one, a used S&W 34 or 63 would be nice.  That's the J-frame six-shot .22 with adjustable sights.   

Either of these have small enough grips to work with kids.  With the S&W, progressively larger grips can be used as they grow.  

• 3 weeks later...

Nice.  I've wanted a S&W 17 for almost 40 years now and a 617 since they came out.   The closest I came was owning a 17 for a day.  (Bought at a pawn shop...first cylinderful split every case...returned...he found what I expected, that some genius rechambered it to .22 Magnum.).  Sad, sad story.   Sniff.

That 617 with the old small grips should fit pretty small hands if they need it.   If you need them and can't find a set, let me know.  

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up biding on and winning a new SW 617 for $724 last night. I fondled the 617 and the Ruger at gun shows.....and like both but decided to buy the Smith'.

​Thank me very much!  Always glad to help you spend your $$.  All joking aside, you will like the 617 - congrats!

Wayne

Thanks for draining my wallet!! :grin:

Shot really nice yesterday. Sights need a little adjusting, but a 10 round revolver is a hoot to shoot.

Now shopping for new grips. The FFL I bought it from had spring kits, installing those in a couple minutes.

Great looking pistol!  

How does the wife like shooting it?

​It's for my daughter. She hasn't shot it. I just went through another 100 rounds...........works great so I need to "test" it some more:grin:

This summer is Firearms 101 for her.

​It's for my daughter. She hasn't shot it. I just went through another 100 rounds...........works great so I need to "test" it some more:grin:

This summer is Firearms 101 for her.

​Yes, you should absolutely test, test, test!!  :)

Edited by wwillson

• 2 weeks later...

I had the idea a few years ago that if I loaded some light .44 Spl loads using the 113 grain wadcutter mold I have, it might be good for the kids to shoot.  Very little recoil, but a big, clean hole that helps confidence by catching the next scoring ring.  

I had to work with it first.  

Still working.  

Kids have yet to fire a round of it.