Practically Shooting

More .338 Lapua Magnum reloading!

OVERKILL

Had her out today with these for the first time. A few observations:

1. I had two "fail to feeds". They would chamber 9/10th's of the way but I couldn't close the bolt. There's nothing obviously physically wrong with them though that I can see?

2. These shoot higher by about 3" and to the right a tad compared to the S&B 250gr ones I zeroed with. They are consistent.

3. They leave a dark ring of what looks like carbon around the part of the shell that the bullet seats into. Is this normal? It is different from the S&B shells which leave a tad but nowhere near as much as these.

Most of the shells chambered beautifully; easier than the S&B ones. I had a few that it was tough to get the bolt down with but ejected perfectly. I had no difficult extractions with these AT ALL, which is different from the S&B's where I have the odd one that I have to give the bolt a bit of a whack at the top of its stroke to eject. Nothing serious, just a bit of sticking. Back when I first got the rifle I had very difficult extractions with it all the time and it ended up needing the chamber polished. Apparently a very common problem with the 110BA.

• 8 months later...

My mag leaves carbon around the neck too. And all the once shot brass I've picked up has that as well. 

are you full length sizing your brass or just the neck. I've heard very often that only neck sizing brass in a lapua can lead to change ring issues. If you load single obviously that becomes a non issue. I load single in my mag so it gives a chance for barrel to cool for a sec and me to breathe and refocus. 

Try full length sizing if you aren't. Gotta anneal the cases to. 5 shots max.  

The bolt sticking is an issue. 

Go to YouTube and find tiborasaurus Rex channel. Sniper 101 is his YouTube series. He talks about his lapua and brass and EVERYTHING you want to know about long range precision shooting. I've learned a ton from his vids. Everything you've described he talks about with his lapua so I suggest checking him out.